Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What have we learned from this storm. (Iselle)
quote:
it is all in how freq the storms & the investment one is willing to make
Very true. My point is that if you're going to advocate solar because it's great to have power after a hurricane when most other are suffering without, it would make sense to insure the survival of said system and have a back up plan, i.e. a generator.

I'm hoping hurricanes remain a rare event in Hawaii, as that rarity is one of my main reasons for eventually moving there. My rough count is that I've enjoyed being in the path of 7 hurricanes (both a cat 2 and cat 3 within 3 weeks) at least one major tropical storm and just by a stroke of luck I also managed to experience a typhoon while on Chook FSM. Not counting near misses and brushes or various minor tropical storms. I ***HATE*** hurricanes and have had enough of them. Personally I think one per lifetime is sufficient as I'm sure most of you will currently agree.

Edit to add:
quote:
Wonder if they or any vehicle could be outfitted with a small inverter, enough to be of benefit?
Yes, been there and done that. It does provide benefit but not a lot. You can charge stuff and give use of a fan for heat relief and some light but is not an economical alternative, gas consumption wise. I suppose you could run a small pump to allow simple rigged showers but I doubt you could run a catchment pump but my experience is with well pumps.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have we learned from this storm. (Iselle) - by missydog1 - 08-11-2014, 10:19 AM
RE: What have we learned from this storm. (Iselle) - by Guest - 08-11-2014, 10:30 AM
RE: What have we learned from this storm. (Iselle) - by missydog1 - 08-11-2014, 10:32 AM
RE: What have we learned from this storm. (Iselle) - by missydog1 - 08-11-2014, 12:20 PM
RE: What have we learned from this storm. (Iselle) - by oink - 08-12-2014, 05:51 AM
RE: What have we learned from this storm. (Iselle) - by Guest - 08-14-2014, 02:21 PM
RE: What have we learned from this storm. (Iselle) - by missydog1 - 08-17-2014, 11:57 AM
RE: What have we learned from this storm. (Iselle) - by Guest - 08-29-2014, 11:41 AM