Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving companies & shipping vs starting over
Depends on where you are shipping from. When my wife and I moved back home to Hawaii, we shipped everything and still it sits in eroding boxes under the deck more than a few years later. But as my wife had never made a big move before, I let her have her way - we even shipped back some things that were in their original boxes we shipped to the mainland. But I digress.

Replacing it here is going to cost you. Conservatively estimate what the total value of your items is. Then figure it will likely cost you an additional 30-90% to replace them here. If the 30-90% is less than the shipping costs, get rid of it and buy here.

But I will warn you, there is a chance that a lot of the things that you might want will not be found here.

We were close enough to the west coast that I had a container dropped off. After loading it, I called and it was picked it up and delivered to my front yard 3 weeks later. There were some minor issues as the drop off company didn't pick up the container on time due to a holiday weekend and Matson tried to charge me, but it was cleared up with 2 phone calls.

The items we did unpack and are using far out weighed the cost of shipping everything back. My only regret is not actually purchasing the container for storage on my property as the costs of containers here is 3-5x the price on the mainland.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Moving companies & shipping vs starting over - by Anxious Messiah - 08-19-2014, 11:53 AM
RE: Moving companies & shipping vs starting over - by missydog1 - 08-19-2014, 01:21 PM
RE: Moving companies & shipping vs starting over - by missydog1 - 08-19-2014, 04:48 PM
RE: Moving companies & shipping vs starting over - by Guest - 08-20-2014, 11:07 AM
RE: Moving companies & shipping vs starting over - by Guest - 08-20-2014, 01:21 PM