Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving companies & shipping vs starting over
We shipped via a Matson container as well. It was easy, and far less expensive than if we had gone through a moving company. We pared down a great deal as well - and left tons of stuff back on the mainland (via Goodwill, etc). What we did find out here - quality furniture here is hard to come by, and expensive. You think you can leave stuff behind and just go to Target, WallMart and K-Mart to replace.. .it will cost you. AND, the choices may not be what you're looking for. What you left back home, may not be able to be found again here in Hawaii.

What I wish we HAD brought with us - some good, quality outdoor furniture. We moved from a condo on the mainland with no outdoor space, so it didn't even come to mind that perhaps we should have brought that with us. People might want to tell you what they had wished they had brought with them. Then that might give you an idea of what you might want to consider bringing. Another thing - a truck. I didn't realize just how much i don't like transporting my rubbish to the transfer station each week in my car (rear hatchback). I so want a truck... next trip to mainland i'm going to search out a nice, inexpensive, no rust, used truck and ship it back ($1100 approx with Matson from Oakland to Hilo).

Enjoy your trip. Best decision we made to move to Hawaii.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Moving companies & shipping vs starting over - by missydog1 - 08-19-2014, 01:21 PM
RE: Moving companies & shipping vs starting over - by missydog1 - 08-19-2014, 04:48 PM
RE: Moving companies & shipping vs starting over - by coastal - 08-20-2014, 05:30 AM
RE: Moving companies & shipping vs starting over - by Guest - 08-20-2014, 11:07 AM
RE: Moving companies & shipping vs starting over - by Guest - 08-20-2014, 01:21 PM