Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving companies & shipping vs starting over
quote:
Originally posted by Mimosa
If you are close to a port on west coast,buy your own shipping container and ship on Matson or P.A.S.H.A. .
Pasha from long beach Ca takes 4 days and Hilo is 1st port of call.Every thing is inside the ship so not exposed to the elements.
By shipping on Matson it transfers in Honolulu to the Young brothers barge to Hilo.takes a few weeks.

In any case,pack your own container yourself and always have that in your yard for secure storage or just a chicken coop.

An all aluminum one is better than the steel constructed one.

This is basically good advice, but a few details are incorrect.

Although Pasha Hawai'i has drop-off terminals in Oakland and Covina, CA (Long Beach), and transfer from there, they currently ship to Hawai'i from San Diego. That happens on a regular published biweekly schedule that takes 5 days to Honolulu, another day to Kahului (6), and another to Hilo (7).

https://www.pashahawaii.com/schedules/in...l-schedule

Also, their current custom built ship for vehicles and RO-RO (Roll On - Roll Off) cargo, the Jean Anne, is completely enclosed, however their new ship, Marjorie C, which is going into service very soon, adds conventional outside capacity for 1,200 20' containers or their equivalent to the enclosed vehicle carriage area, and will add scheduled calls to the Los Angeles Basin.

The Jean V is small enough to dock at Kahului and Hilo harbors, eliminating the offloading in Honolulu, transfer, and barging via Young Brothers that Matson requires. It's not clear yet whether the new Marjorie C will be directly serving Maui and the Big Island or not, but it appears as though it will do. Although more than 100 ft longer (692 ft vs 579 ft) the Marjorie C is only 4 ft wider, and the 31' draft vs the Jean Anne's 28' seems unlikely to be a problem.

https://www.pashahawaii.com/services/ves...-jean-anne
https://www.pashahawaii.com/services/ves...marjorie-c

As far as buying a container for shipping, instead of renting one from a carrier, the critical detail to attend to is that it has a current CSC (Container Safety Convention) certificate. Many of the containers sold for storage purposes have lost their certification and cannot be shipped. The certificate is a must.

Aluminum container? They usually have a big price premium that yields little benefit, and has a couple of disadvantages. Chief among them is that if you intend to modify the container in any way once it is in Hawai'i, such as to add windows, doors, etc. then steel is easier for laymen to cut and weld. And I've heard talk that today's CorTen steel containers may actually be more resistant to corrosion than aluminum ones in our acid rain environment, so I'd do some research on that before deciding.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Moving companies & shipping vs starting over - by missydog1 - 08-19-2014, 01:21 PM
RE: Moving companies & shipping vs starting over - by missydog1 - 08-19-2014, 04:48 PM
RE: Moving companies & shipping vs starting over - by Guest - 08-20-2014, 11:07 AM
RE: Moving companies & shipping vs starting over - by Guest - 08-20-2014, 01:21 PM
RE: Moving companies & shipping vs starting over - by OpenD - 08-21-2014, 03:46 AM