Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would it wise for PGV at this time to prepare?
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

Chas - I picked holes in the weather channel report because, well, it was full of holes. The whole sky being orange? Seeing a hydrogen leak? (How does one see hydrogen being leaked?).

Bob gets bashed not because people are bullies, it's because he promotes fear mongering based on people's ignorance, gullibility and general lack of science knowledge. For many, fortunately, his tactics don't work, but some people take his word and from those like him as fact, and that can be truly damaging, especially in a relatively small community such as Puna. You know, it wasn't that long ago he was trying to create fear by telling us the Earth was heading into a cometary tail full of poisonous molecules. Of course he failed to mention that happens all the time, year after year, millennia after millennia, and we are still here.

BTW, you may feel you need to go on the defensive after criticism of the weather channel reporter's claims, but please note I criticised the report, not you.

What you regard as fear I regard as information + you might want to go back and read the Ison thread as I mentioned that the comets tail had a particular composition that included cyanide & ammonia , which as you pointed out is true of other comets as well , and as far as this being me saying this: "it wasn't that long ago he was trying to create fear by telling us the Earth was heading into a cometary tail full of poisonous molecules" I posted other links that stated this , and perhaps you have forgotten about the suns many cme's at the precise right time to pretty much change everyone's predictions about Ison.
Suns MANY AND POWERFUL cme's at the approach and during the Perihelion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoFyc2Mqgvs

[Below] From link http://news.discovery.com/space/the-deat...140716.htm

Images of Comet ISON taken by SUMER on Nov. 28, 2013, reveal the tail’s shape. The red dots mark the predicted positions of the comet’s nucleus in intervals of one minute, the red cross depicts the last position at the time of the picture recording. The white arrow indicates the direction to the sun. Brightness contours and centerline of the tail clarify its appearance.
MPS
Only hours before ISON’s Nov. 28, 2013, close approach, the comet stopped producing a tail of vapor and dust, which is strange considering its surface would have been rapidly heating up. According to analysis of SUMER observations, around 8.5 hours before perihelion, the comet released a “short and violent outburst” that extinguished any further release of gas and dust.

Before the outburst, ISON was acting just as it should during solar approach — a beautiful, long tail created a bright arc in observations by the Large Angle and Spectrometric Coronagraph (LASCO) also on board SOHO. LASCO is used by solar astronomers to observe the region surrounding the sun to track space weather events such as coronal mass ejections (CMEs). But LASCO also has a dazzling track record of tracking ‘sungrazing comets’ that regularly drop deep into the corona.

As ISON dropped closer to the sun, the LASCO view was lost as the comet disappeared behind the instrument’s occulter — a component of LASCO that blocks the glare of the sun so faint structures in the corona can be resolved. So the only instrument that could track ISON’s final moments was SUMER.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would it wise for PGV at this time to prepare? - by Guest - 08-06-2014, 06:44 AM
RE: Would it wise for PGV at this time to prepare? - by Opihikaobob - 08-21-2014, 09:31 AM