Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State paying to test water for property owners?
Although the ponds that do not touch the ocean over land are under the jurisdiction of the Coastal Zone Management under DLNR for building, the ponds themselves (inland waterways) also come under the jurisdiction of the ACOE.

There is no "grandfathering" in of cesspools. Anytime you pull a building permit in the CZMA (or SMA), you are required to upgrade to the current required wastewater system (i.e depending on elevation and distance from ocean or pond). You are also supposed to update to the current building code with remodel or renovations of more than 50% (and that is based on $114/SF - I believe - x # of SF being remodeled or renovated.) So I would expect that much of the damage will necessitate building to go up to the current level of 16+ ft for the first floor in the FEMA Flood Zone which covers the ocean front. I just dont remember what that flood zone is called. I live in Fema Flood Zone X - i.e a flood once every 500 years.)

An additional requirement in KV is you must upgrade the wastewater system to the current DOH code when the property changes hands or you lose your water meter if you get water from the KKWA.

Now if we can get those ocean front homes not to store crap where Fema says it will flood, it would be great. I told one homeowner's adult son the day before that he should get all that paint and crap moved. He was an smart alec and said it will be fine. Hmmmmm..... I really didnt want to be able to say I told you so Dummy as it just means their crap landed in a pond. and all the crap in their pond is theirs not like some of the others who got every one else's crap in theirs and none of their stuff. Oh yah and know they want Fema to clean it up.

I, except for agreeing to the testing, took care of our own stuff. We are aerating pond, have added water plants to keep our pond healthy which connects to the ocean as evidenced by the rise and fall of the pond level.

As for lavalava's comments, I pay taxes to the state & county, I get pretty much very little for my $$$$'s so a few dollars for testing. I figure after 25+ yrs, the SOH & COH are still ahead quite a bit.

And remember the tide pools although on private roads have always been accessible to the public unlike the gates of Kapoho Beach Lots.

Messages In This Thread
RE: State paying to test water for property owners? - by missydog1 - 08-23-2014, 09:43 AM
RE: State paying to test water for property owners? - by missydog1 - 08-23-2014, 11:17 AM
RE: State paying to test water for property owners? - by Kapohocat - 08-24-2014, 03:08 PM