Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow?
Dr Jim from HVO mentioned the fact that they had been tracking the flow of the lava through the crack ( using skylights & emissions -following the smoke)and that it had just emerge more than a couple of times... the "excited" may have been 'camera angle'...

This was a very crowded meeting (WAY over the numbers to be called "overflow crowd" and most wanted to know "what does this flow mean for me"

I would say most people there wanted to know when the lava would be at their door/across their travel route, and the inconsistency of lava was not comfo4rting, some actually wanted the government to do something (Ed note:as the lava is in a highly fractured area that is pretty inaccessible, not sure how much can be done at this point)

One lady did bring in the front page of the Trib/Herald with the headline "State Disaster \Fund Depleted", met with assurances that if funds were needed for a safe evacuation, they would be available

The number of people at this event far exceed the numbers I have seen at previous lava flow inspires community update meetings, so this is a very good thing, people are thinking there is a potential for this flow to effect them & they wanted to have information. Hopefully more are ready to start planning, as some of the take away I had from the =meeting was that many at this meeting were not prepared for the aftereffects of Iselle, had not planned for the variety of things that CAN happen during a natural disaster & wanted to know what to expect

- ED: I do think the presenters did give a fairly well reasoned picture of most of the things that COULD happen IF lava continued on its current & nearby paths... I am wondering how many left the meeting with a better understanding of how much each of the residents must plan for what they should do if these potential things happen..

Messages In This Thread
RE: Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow? - by missydog1 - 08-18-2014, 08:50 AM
RE: Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow? - by Guest - 08-23-2014, 06:09 AM
RE: Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow? - by Guest - 08-23-2014, 07:01 AM
RE: Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow? - by Guest - 08-23-2014, 10:14 AM
RE: Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow? - by Guest - 08-23-2014, 11:56 AM
RE: Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow? - by missydog1 - 08-24-2014, 01:53 PM
RE: Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow? - by Carey - 08-26-2014, 02:59 AM
RE: Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow? - by Guest - 08-26-2014, 06:56 AM
RE: Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow? - by Guest - 08-26-2014, 07:03 AM
RE: Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow? - by Guest - 08-26-2014, 10:10 AM