Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Governor's emergency proclamation
I saw a photo from one of the meetings, and I really wish I could remember where, that showed CD looking at a map with some concerned citizens that had 4 red lines on it that were numbered. They looked like 4 probable crossing of the lava over the highway, with just south of Pahoa town labelled 1 and the area in the vicinity of Maku'u market labelled 4. Which roads they open up will depend on where the highway is crossed, if Kahakai gets covered they will run Beach road or Railroad to HPP, if the lava crosses farther south then they will run the widened road from lower Puna to Kahakai, but not on to HPP.

I recently met with Counselor Ilagan about the need for the county to get some firm lines on paper stating where the PMAR and other connectivity routes would go, with a 5, 10 and 25 year transportation plan, so people can plan their lives, buy and build homes, and make informed decisions on where they want to live, without having to worry that the county will run a highway through their home in 5 years. The county has avoided the messy process of making a decision and now are going to rush through an emergency road that will probably then become the PMAR after the lava flow has shifted again. I did a lot of research before we bought our house, and from all the available information at that time, it was not one of the suggested routes for the PMAR. Now, if they push Railroad through to HPP, all of lower Puna could end up commuting right past my house on a dusty gravel road.

If our county government acted in a proactive manner, instead of purely reactive, people would not be in this sort of situation. The whole point of the PMAR is to provide an alternative route, they could have designated the path a long time ago, now it is being rushed through with no planning or foresight, and no one will be able to object or influence the pathway because it is an "emergency." Bad governance all the way around that is going to unnecessarily have a negative impact on people who aren't in the path of the lava flow, but will bear the effects of the rushed through emergency route for years to come.

edited to add: There is no longer a right of way or easement for much of Railroad on either side of HPP, and it is the narrowest road in HPP, plus it crosses other roads something like 10 times as it goes across HPP. So while the coconut wireless always brings up Railroad it is not a good choice compared to Beach road which is at least a county road already.
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb

Messages In This Thread
Governor's emergency proclamation - by CraftyLady - 09-06-2014, 03:05 AM
RE: Governor's emergency proclamation - by Kelena - 09-06-2014, 03:10 AM
RE: Governor's emergency proclamation - by oink - 09-06-2014, 03:24 AM
RE: Governor's emergency proclamation - by SBH - 09-06-2014, 03:40 AM
RE: Governor's emergency proclamation - by Frank - 09-06-2014, 03:46 AM
RE: Governor's emergency proclamation - by csgray - 09-06-2014, 03:59 AM
RE: Governor's emergency proclamation - by Frank - 09-06-2014, 04:18 AM
RE: Governor's emergency proclamation - by PaulW - 09-06-2014, 04:47 AM
RE: Governor's emergency proclamation - by csgray - 09-06-2014, 04:53 AM