Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna Lava Migration Impacts Housing
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

Realtors are recommending HOVE and Ranchos? Two subdivisions that are nothing but raw lava, because the last eruption was so recent?

I think Carey said it best a few months ago in a discussion about Mauna Loa (the event she described below occurred slightly north of HOVE):

The SW rift of Mauna Loa opened up in a fissure eruption from 8,000 to 13,000 feet like a zipper, or a fissure eruption 12 miles long opening up almost simultaneously...in the middle of the night - with none of the ML trademark earthquake swarms!

This eruption was fast, starting around 9pm & making it to HWY 11 by midnight, and the ocean 35 minutes later, and by morning had bisected HWY11 in 2 separate locations, isolating the community of Ho`okena...which had just barely enough time to all evaculate...

http://www.punaweb.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20061&SearchTerms=mauna,loa,fissure

Hey, I'm not defending the practice, just reporting what I've seen. Craigslist's real estate listing have suddenly had an influx of Ka'u listings with much higher prices than before this lava flow in Puna headed towards Pahoa. I see the same boilerplate I used to see for lots in lower Puna for Ka'u ads now.

Messages In This Thread
Puna Lava Migration Impacts Housing - by ironyak - 01-13-2015, 04:52 AM
RE: Puna Lava Migration Impacts Housing - by shockwave rider - 01-13-2015, 04:52 PM