Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best bang for the buck on realastate?
Punadan,
You need to SEE Tiki Gardens and all the other areas to make a judgment. Most of Tiki Gardens is pretty much on lava with little soil, scrubby, brushy landscaping and dirt roads. The air is humid and still as the elevation is usually below 1000 ft, the height of the trade winds coming in. Haveing said that, I have seen some absolutely lovely homes there in addition to the dumps. It's all about your immediate neighbors.

Mountain View area is about 1500+ ft elevation. There the trades hit nicely for cool breezes and little humidity. Yes it rains a lot but mostly in the afternoons and night. There are weeks of drizzle and weeks of sunshine. It is less than 30 minutes outside Hilo for a decent commute.

I am in Glenwood, north west of the highway 11, with deep rich soil, tall rainforest, sweeping pastures and lots more rain. I LOVE the fresh greenness of it. Feel free to contactme (pslamont@yahoo.lcom) and come see it here when you are on island. I host lots of newcomers and am glad to show you what I have learned.

My cousin is a contractor here. He bought a nice lot on a paved road in volcano, only 6 or 7 miles away from me. Paid about $20,000 for an 8000 sq ft lot with big ohia trees and ferns, power to the property line, etc. He has built a modest home there that will sell in the 150's probably. Buying and buildign is very doable and you don't have to get a dumper lot to do it in your price range, you just have to look look look. Also, using a real estate agent to buy is wise. The seller pays the fees. They get the listings just before they hit the MLS often; that's how I got my place.

Good luck and feel free to be in touch directly.
Aloha, Pam

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Messages In This Thread
RE: best bang for the buck on realastate? - by wa2hfi - 05-30-2005, 08:49 AM
RE: best bang for the buck on realastate? - by wa2hfi - 05-30-2005, 08:55 AM
RE: best bang for the buck on realastate? - by wa2hfi - 05-31-2005, 09:04 PM
RE: best bang for the buck on realastate? - by pslamont - 06-01-2005, 08:41 AM