Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What type of critters live at your elevation?
Aloha mella, We're at 940', top of Leilani, have very few centipedes, but have seen both the flat blue kind and the big brown ones too, never been bit(knock on wood). All kinds roaches from 1/4 inch to the B52 bombers. There are cane spiders like a half size tarantula, but rare up here. There is a small black widow type red spider that has a mosquito-like bite. Also several types mosquitos with different "flavored" bites, a tiny flying beetle variously called beer bugs, cocktail bugs or barrel bugs that everyone around here is used to picking out of their drinks in the evening, all kinds of flies, fleas, ticks, moths, butterflies. We have Bufo (poison toad) but the dogs seem to know better, never been a problem. Several kinds of ants. Huge black bumble type bees, even bigger black wasps. Hornets have invaded from the mainland and are getting common around guava. Also several slimey bizarre creatures like slugs of different shapes and sizes, along with mice, rats, mongoose, pigs, feral cats, coqui. Invite the geckos and anoles into your home and you'll have fewer bugs. I've learned to appreciate them, even though they've pooped in my dinnerplate (and on my head) a few times. I read somewhere once that the average American inhales over 70 bugs over a lifetime while sleeping. I probably suck in that many in a week. All part of life in paradise. Welcome to the tropics!

Edited by - leilaniguy on 01/23/2006 04:00:43

Messages In This Thread
RE: What type of critters live at your elevation? - by leilaniguy - 01-22-2006, 11:59 PM