Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rain, Mauna Kea, Skiing, and Altitude Sickness
@ TomK
I am not sitting here all steamed up getting ready to assault the mountain to get at some snow.
I may not sound it, but I am much more methodical than that.
That's why I'm here asking my questions.
I have been working on a plan over time that can be modified as needed for my Mauna Kea ski trip, if it ever happens.

My questions may sound a bit fool hardy, but they are based on 30+ years of back country earn your turns skiing.
Granted, the maximum altitudes have been closer to 7 to 8k', rather than 13 to 14k'.
That's why I'm looking for insights.
I have little doubt that I can figure it out myself.
But, it is easier if I get input from the experience of others.

@ Others
As far as drugs to suppress altitude sickness, - not required.
I do not expect to be at altitude long enough to worry about experiencing acute altitude sickness, which has never been a problem for me before anyway.
I will add the disclaimer that, I do realize that your resistance on one day may not be the same on another.
My only concern is for enough available O2 to sustain a relatively short period of moderately strenuous physical activity.
I do not see any drugs being of help with that.

I didn't expect my questions to grow to this scale.
I feel badly about hijacking this thread.
Maybe I should move this to another thread of its own?

Welcome to Puna, the land of the Vocal Lunatic Fringe.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rain, Mauna Kea, Skiing, and Altitude Sickness - by Guest - 11-24-2017, 08:59 PM
RE: Rain, Mauna Kea, Skiing, and Altitude Sickness - by 1voyager1 - 11-29-2017, 10:05 AM