Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appliance Repair
I'm morally opposed to cooking because I live alone, don't need elaborate meals or a lot of calories and I always think the time spent cooking could be better spent writing, making music, romancing, learning a language, cleaning my house, gardening, or rotating the tires on my car. In addtion, ever since I had a trainer, I like very simple meals and have a fear of calories (I lost 30 pounds after I moved to Hawaii): Smoothies for breakfast; soup (canned) in the afternoon; fruit for snacks; and a microwaved breast of chicken with steamed vegetables for dinner. The only cooking involved is heating up the soup and microwaving the chicken (or chicken substitute sometimes).

It is possible I have an inhibition because as the youngest in my family, I never once prepared a meal of any kind. Then, once out on my own, I quickly exhibited an ineptitude in the kitchen that even to this day comes as a shock to others. Fortunately, for most of my life I had a partner to cook for me. Usually my partner understood very quickly I had no business anywhere near a kitchen. But I am terminally single now.

Others are skeptical and sometimes insist that I cook in front of them while they assist. The pizza burns WHILE THEY ARE WATCHING. It's frustrating for me, because, as in a horror movie, they don't believe until it is too late and the kitchen is about to burst into flames.

I don't know why this is. It just is. I think the other important thing to go know is I have absolutely no interest or inclination to fix this, by taking a class or some such thing. I have no interest in cooking. I would rather do almost anything else. I appreciate the ability of others to cook and love that primal feeling of being nurtured by someone's cooking. I do not get the same feeling of accomplishment when I make an elaborate meal for myself.

I don't keep basic cooking ingredients in my home. Nothing. I just keep mainland lettuce, no calorie dressing, canned green beans, protein power, cashew milk, coffee, tea, sugar and canned soup. There is absolutely nothing in my cupboards. Inexplicably, I'm proud of it.

When someone serves me an elaborate dessert that consists of triple-injected chocolate with candy bits on top, slathered in fresh whipped cream on a layer of cheesecake with mascarpone in the middle, I look at them as if they are insane. Who needs that? It will kill you. Why would you offer such a thing to me?

In short, I am anti-food except as a form of sustenance,or as a way of making others happy, as in taking them to a restaurant. I do sometimes stock boy food in the house just in case. That would be frozen pizza, chimichangas, frozen mozarella sticks, chips, dips, and lots and lots of beer. There has been very little demand for such things lately.

My stove is all-electric. I think the problem has to do with the control panel because you can punch in 400 degrees but nothing else. The element works, although I appreciate the suggestion there. I did check that to make sure. I might not have otherwise.

I appreciate all of the suggestions and might try that control panel place.

I looked at new stoves and I could be wrong, but they appear to have changed dimensions....gotten higher. I have granite countertops surrounding my stove so, not sure how that would be work.

If I cooked, I wouldn't hestitate to figure that last part out. But I don't. I just heat up soup on the stovetop. I never ever put anything in the oven. Not after the pizza fire, supervised by an expert cook.

Messages In This Thread
Appliance Repair - by Kelena - 01-10-2018, 07:18 AM
RE: Appliance Repair - by Hunt Stoddard - 01-10-2018, 09:57 AM
RE: Appliance Repair - by Tink - 01-10-2018, 12:55 PM
RE: Appliance Repair - by MarkP - 01-10-2018, 01:00 PM
RE: Appliance Repair - by birdmove - 01-10-2018, 01:25 PM
RE: Appliance Repair - by terracore - 01-10-2018, 01:49 PM
RE: Appliance Repair - by Kenney - 01-11-2018, 07:38 AM
RE: Appliance Repair - by bluesboy - 01-11-2018, 08:33 AM
RE: Appliance Repair - by Kelena - 01-11-2018, 09:52 AM
RE: Appliance Repair - by Hunt Stoddard - 01-11-2018, 03:18 PM
RE: Appliance Repair - by Kenney - 01-11-2018, 03:32 PM