Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The CoH has to rethink zoning and building codes
I agree that we need to take action on the zoning in Hazard Zone 1. But relaxing building code standards is absolutely the wrong way to go. The County has been negligent in allowing unpermitted construction in Puna - but relaxing the codes is just another example of short term gain while increasing the risks of long term pain that the original approval of these subdivisions is now generating. Construction of substandard houses runs the risk of more massive homelessness with the next hurricane. And I think the County is in the process of demonstrating that they don't have anywhere near the shelter space to accommodate even a modest number of displaced home-owners and renters.

"Innovative" waste disposal systems - don't get me started. We've got huge and growing problems with substandard septic/cesspool systems in Puna. The idea that those 'innovative" systems won't just become waste dumps is fantasy at its worst. Everyone likes to play the "green" card when it suits them, but most will do everything they can to dodge the costs of proper, safe disposal of waste...

"Live'n the dream" is expensive - cutting corners to do it, can be more expensive still as a lot of unfortunate folks are learning right now... We're not doing anyone any favors by facilitating substandard construction in high risk environments.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The CoH has to rethink zoning and building codes - by geochem - 06-08-2018, 08:17 AM