Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EBT, WIC, Welfare, Oh My! Punafare?
Many people are truly misinformed about the welfare state.There was a hugh anti welfare propaganda champain going on several years ago that caused the reform but it was just a red herring coverup to hide gov. spending abuse and they needed more money for those black hawk toys or whatever.The welfare budget is small compared to other gov.(wasteful) spending.

Personally this is one of the reasons I like America because they have programs to fall back on if you ever need them I wish they had more.My sister lived in a foreign country and broke her leg she could not work and almost starved to death except for the charity of a few.So God Bless America and their social programs!

Yes Puna does have alot of folks on food stamps,and lots of poor folks, but where have you ever seen so many minimum wage jobs than here? Who is going to be able to live off of that? Also when they did the whole welfare reform thing, they made it easier for WORKING FAMILIES to get food stamps and healthcare.I think more families should take advantage of that.For the free health care I think a family of 4 can make up to 40k same with WIC and for foodstamps its like 30k a year so its pretty generous in what they call poor.(these are just ball park est).
Believe me I know folks on welfare and they barely get enough to live on.I mean hardly anything.the single druggie guy using his ebt card probably only gets 90 bucks a month in food stamps.
A family of 4 gets something like 500 cash and maybe 600 in food stamps.Try paying rent on that.So its not all, that people think it is and they give you so little folks almost have to cheat the system to survive (like having a job under the table).Heres a disparity the state pays a thousand dollars a month for a family to care for a foster child but expects a family of 4 to live on 500? Thats also big in Puna foster families and they usually get food stamps for the foster kids.
But there is some gross abuse I think you'll have that in any situtation.
I have 4 kids our food bill is like 800 a month I can't afford organic we eat lots of simple carbs because they are cheap fillers,steak is a treat so are certain veggies/fruits as they are usually more expensive than meat and everything I buy is on SALE.I really don't have the time luxury to go foraging in the forest for fruit and I would worry about getting shot at. so its not worth it to me.I only say this so you get an idea what families in BI are dealing with as far as costs of food.
You addressed many topics but folks on regular payrolls are taxed heavily for unemployment insurance its not charity.
I feel if you need them apply for them thats what they are for, you paid for it. If I wrecked my car I am going to file a claim thats what insurance is for.These programs are not forever anyway,I would not give them a second thought.
Disability is the same you pay for it in taxes. yes folks abuse it Partly due to unscrupulous doctors.But it is very hard to get.I hear they routinely decline every applicant and only folks who file an appeal actually get it.Maybe that will help your dad."The squeeky wheel gets the grease"

There is a hugh problem with food wastes and keeping prices high at the Farmers market but I guess they have to to be able to make a living.
FYI did you ever smell a rotting stench on the highway just past Keaau high school (heading to hilo) Thats because there are tons and tons of decomposing papayas that are dumped on Railroad ave. They throw beautiful fruit in there but the stench is sooo awful you can't get to the good stuff.What is that about?!! keeps the prices high I'd suspect.Even the market folks sell ripe fruit cheap when the market is closing for the day.You'd think they could just lower the price and sell out but nooo.I don't even want to talk about all the fruit I see rotting in peoples yards thats just sickening, then I have to pay 2 bucks or more a pound at the store.I hope this helps you get a better understanding,yes it is just Puna (in a way)
I would just ignore what you don't know the facts about and report the abuse you know of if it helps.
If I did'nt know for sure that republicans are not allowed to live in Puna I'd think you were one.hahahalol just kidding! Great topic!

Messages In This Thread
EBT, WIC, Welfare, Oh My! Punafare? - by Hazen - 08-31-2006, 10:14 AM
RE: EBT, WIC, Welfare, Oh My! Punafare? - by Punamom - 08-31-2006, 09:33 PM
RE: EBT, WIC, Welfare, Oh My! Punafare? - by KeithLee - 09-05-2006, 09:19 PM