Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EBT, WIC, Welfare, Oh My! Punafare?
It is very important to remember the role that education plays in the equations given.
It is only through learining how to budget that one can actually live on a budget. This may seem like a duh-hay, but there are people across the socio-econmic scale that have never learned how to budget their resources. They spend the income they receive (and many go into debt to make purchases that should have been budgeted).
The quality of the schools also effect the ability of the residents to get things like a higher education, and to qualify for a good paying job. School quality issues also effects the students desire to be in school. If you feel that there is no to low worth in an activity, you probably will not keep doing it. If students are not in school, and feel no drive to be engaged in school, they look at other things to fill their time. This fact alone can help expain some of the recreational drugs, joy-riding , petty theft, and teen pregnancy.
But on the view some have of "social welfare". The state college I transfered from offered free honors classes to students in the honors program (this college was a commuter campus in an upper income county). In one of the classes, students were voicing their opinions against public welfare. I happened to bring up that getting free classes at a state run institution was public welfare. You should have heard the students voice that fact that they were intitled to this benefit because they "earned" it with their good grades. (Not the fact that it was their job, as students, to get good grades. That was the payment for their work) It is also important to realize that much of the educational system in the U.S. is publicly funded (and many private schools do have public funded benefits, through grants, scholarships, teachers workshops, etc.)
So, as a student with a grant, at a state institution, & a home owner and tax-payer, I have only to say, thanks.
Aloha, Carey

Messages In This Thread
EBT, WIC, Welfare, Oh My! Punafare? - by Hazen - 08-31-2006, 10:14 AM
RE: EBT, WIC, Welfare, Oh My! Punafare? - by Carey - 09-01-2006, 08:39 AM
RE: EBT, WIC, Welfare, Oh My! Punafare? - by KeithLee - 09-05-2006, 09:19 PM