Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Educating Children/ Teachers needed
Teachers are treated VERY unprofessionally here. Examples:

The salary is ridiculously low. My husband took about a 40% cut in pay to come here. Hawaii does not recognize more than 6 years previous experience, so the most experienced and qualified teachers are not encouraged in any way. Additionally, he is charged for benefits like health insurance which was included as an additio to salary in California.

There is no job post for new hires. You come here, sit and wait for two days before school starts, when you receive a phone calll inviting you to an interview. We know of terachers hired for school in Kona when they live in Hilo. When one teacher complained she was told she would go to the "bottom of the list" for her next interview which could take several months.

My husband was recruited on the mainland and offered both the relocation bonus and the placement bonus. He was then assigned a school not on the hard to fill list so lost the placement bonus, and we are still wrestling with beurocracy for the relocation bonus.

Just our experience and that of the other new techers we have met this season. Hawaii has only ONE school district for the entire state, so there is no competition to set salary, fill positions, etc....

Maybe someone with umph will read this and give it some attention.

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Messages In This Thread
Educating Children/ Teachers needed - by mella l - 09-09-2006, 11:19 PM
RE: Educating Children/ Teachers needed - by pslamont - 09-10-2006, 03:48 AM
RE: Educating Children/ Teachers needed - by LeeE - 07-03-2007, 03:39 AM