Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Educating Children/ Teachers needed
I have not researched the teachers' union in Hawaii, but I strongly suspect that the pay scale and any other 'rights' that teachers can depend upon are a direct result of the union. A happier, less-stressed teacher creates a better classroom experience for his/her students.

I have had a lot of experience in schools in California and in Maui--K through community college. My latest gig was teaching SAT prep to juniors at Maui High.

In many cases, teachers' unions also work to set class size limits and are involved in other important decisions which contribute to a better educational experience for teacher and student alike.

Every teacher I know cares deeply about his/her students and the quality of education they receive. Teachers I know in Hawaii have to be married (with two incomes)or live with roommates in order to afford to live there.

Many teachers I know on the Mainland and in Hawaii talk often about quitting the job because of how difficult it is. I find that most of the problems are due to poor administration. Many teachers are treated badly by their principals, some have to actually clean their own classrooms and/or have terrible environments in which to teach. In many schools, especially high schools, some kids don't care at all about learning. Every teacher I know--even in 'rich' districts has to pay a sum of approximately $200 each year to 'enrich' their classroom. That doesn't count money spent on treats, paper, notebooks and other things they supply to their kids throughout the year.

Teachers are a hardworking, caring bunch who obviously are not doing the job for the money. Trust me, the unions offer much-needed protection to these people.

I invite anyone who has complaints about teachers or their unions to get involved in a local public school and volunteer. A teacher out there will appreciate you so much and you will then have the knowledge to speak about the situation.

April
april

Messages In This Thread
Educating Children/ Teachers needed - by mella l - 09-09-2006, 11:19 PM
RE: Educating Children/ Teachers needed - by aprild - 09-11-2006, 07:24 AM
RE: Educating Children/ Teachers needed - by LeeE - 07-03-2007, 03:39 AM