Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
COVID-19 confirmed in Hawaii: 607+ cases 16 deaths
As for food security, ag here can't compete with cheap imports from the mainland....

At any price, eh? I don't know what news you've been watching but mine's talking food shortages already. Talking about the actual Corona Task Force, you know the guys that put out the spin, huddling together on the back side talking like OMG the food, the food!

Well maybe not so dramatically, but brah it may be a while before we can depend on the mainland for much of anything. Sure it'll come, but what and how much? It all depends on which industries are hit the hardest by the virus. Imagine the farmers, the food packers the butchers.. the wholesalers.. being hit by the virus enough to shut them down...

Coronavirus may cause some food shortages, warns government task force

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-may-c...08504.html

Go read it, no need I copy/paste, I did that with that article a few days ago.

With all that in mind, I think your assumptions are based upon old models that no longer apply. But hey I could be wrong, who really knows? Though I would think that we are poised to see a change in our local economy that shifts to something more in line with a locally sourced model. I can't see the people in hospitality sitting around waiting for the tourists to return. Major projection has Maui as the hardest hit in the nation when this is all tallied up. Because major projections don't think tourism is going to return for a long long time.

So where do those workers, that cute chic that served you the last time you ate water front side along Alii Dr., where is she going to work? What about the owner of the boats that took folks snokling? The tour bus drivers? The endless people tied to the transient trade? We with shift, immediately, or they have to leave. We either recreate our economy to suit our needs or our potential goes to waste and we're screwed.

If we focus on farming, immediately, we could have a growing economy in no time and be a food source for others. We have the labor, the land, the sunshine and water, we're ready to go. We all ready do that with beef. We're so close to nirvana already! Think of all the fruit in all the yards, dude we are a breadbasket. And it's all with an ocean view.

Man we are sitting so pretty, if we want to. Otherwise, there's all sorts of excuses to be miserable.

Messages In This Thread
RE: COVID-19 confirmed in Hawaii: 607+ cases 16 deaths - by Guest - 04-06-2020, 10:06 AM