Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to Puna
I'd like to start a thread that goes back to the original idea behind this site - news, info, comments about what is going on in Puna, rather than arguing state vs federal jurisdictions ad nauseam.  So here go a few ?s:

The new Kaleo's has opened at the bottom of Orchidland Drive, and the outdoor seating  was packed the few times I drove by.  There is a new charter school opening up at the corner of Orchidland Drive and 34th  ( I think it's HAAS elementary, but not sure ). The amount of traffic at the intersection with the highway  will rise substantially.   Given the number of accidents that already take place there,  will we have to hit the number of fatalities that the Pahoa town intersection reached before we get either a roundabout or traffic light at that spot ?  The jurisdiction arguments are much closer to home:  private road vs state highway vs county permits.

Does anyone know what is being built at the corner of HWY 130 and Aulii ?  There has been a lot of heavy equipment there for several weeks now.  The ground prep seems to be much more substantial than what a house requires.  I've stopped and looked for any kind of notice of variance, but didn't see any.  There's nothing on the OLCA website, and I don't do FB so I couldn't check there.  I called the planning department twice and was put on lengthy holds both times, and had to hang up because my phone battery was dying.  I know that at one point several years ago, there was an application for a supermarket on that corner, but it was denied because Aulii is technically a side street, not main access road.  Does any one have info about this ?

Messages In This Thread
Back to Puna - by Punaperson - 11-14-2021, 02:52 AM
RE: Back to Puna - by malahini - 11-14-2021, 03:50 AM
RE: Back to Puna - by AaronM - 11-14-2021, 06:48 AM
RE: Back to Puna - by kalakoa - 11-14-2021, 05:42 PM
RE: Back to Puna - by leilanidude - 11-14-2021, 07:26 PM
RE: Back to Puna - by HereOnThePrimalEdge - 11-14-2021, 08:53 PM
RE: Back to Puna - by Punaperson - 11-14-2021, 09:55 PM
RE: Back to Puna - by kalakoa - 11-14-2021, 09:58 PM
RE: Back to Puna - by HereOnThePrimalEdge - 11-14-2021, 10:26 PM