Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Responsible, Sustainable, Eco Tourism Big Island
I stayed there for a month several years back. It's not worth the listed price unless they've done some serious renovations. I stayed in what they're now calling a premium king room. It had bad plumbing, which I won't elaborate on. It had really crap parking and not near enough of it.

At times I didn't feel real safe nearby off the hotel grounds. Sometimes I didn't feel real welcome across the street at the fresh water boil. Frequent open pot smoking right in front at the boil streetside. The cops obviously weren't a concern. I don't remember the name of the little bay with the spring boil off hand. Other than not feeling too welcome there at times it is a pretty cool place, the boil. Obviously a fairly popular swimming hole.

At the time the hotel seemed to be mostly a locals place but that part was OK and I never had any issues with the employees or guests. Well, there was a little tension with one desk clerk, her being a native local and me an old white guy but we always kept it lite and I enjoyed talking to her, but I could still feel resentment a bit.

Overall I did enjoy my stay there quite a bit and it was a good base for my adventures but there were those drawbacks. The parking is certainly an issue but I don't know of an easy way they could address that.

I like to walk a lot and it was a great base for that. I'd walk the whole Banyan Drive loop including Cocoanut Island early every morning, often in rain. Watching the sun slowly light up the mountain every morning was nice. There were always quite a few other walkers and joggers also out early to keep me company. The local fishermen along the bay were often initially a bit standoffish but generally warmed up after I chatted them up a bit. I don't mind talking to strangers. I actually enjoy it although you will run into a creepy one now and then.

Unfortunately I don't think I could afford another month long stay at their current rate structure.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Responsible, Sustainable, Eco Tourism Big Island - by oink - 11-28-2022, 07:36 AM