Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Old Lahaina Town Utterly Destroyed - Recovery & Relief Efforts
(08-17-2023, 09:25 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: dobanion,
The photo of the structure you posted would put insurance companies out of business:

1) Fire insurance would be unnecessary
2) Round walls would allow hurricane winds to curve around it, and there's no roof to blow off
3) With a wire cage reinforcement in the cement, fero, etc, it should hold together during an earthquake

Thanks for the kudos, at least that's how I take them, on "The Dome." At least that's what the neighbors call it to my face. Wink

I describe it as the ultimate in pragmatism in construction, pure function over form. One of my neighbors calls it "The house that looks like a d**k."

I find that most people who have been detractors when they see it from the outside, become converted once they hang out inside. I'll add that it makes a little bluetooth speaker sound like a concert if you sit in the right spot. The acoustics are spooky sometimes. You can stand on one side and speak quietly to someone on the other side and to them it sounds like you are whispering in their ear.

You'll notice in the photo that it sits on a outcropping, and it catches the wind like crazy. There's a spot right by the front door where the wind gets amplified by double. Nice spot to stand when you get hot.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Old Lahaina Town Utterly Destroyed - Recovery & Relief Efforts - by dobanion - 08-18-2023, 03:17 PM