Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Governor's East Hawaii Council of Advisors Meeting
quote:
A big portion of the people moving to Puna is retired people so it is easy for them to say, “Slow down”. The reality though is most people still have to work thus have to commute. The speed limit is 55 mph but there are many locals and retired people that drive 40 to 45 because they are in no hurry not commuting to a job. That the causes a big back up of angry drivers that then pass on the right or make risky passes on the left at any opportunity.

Roundabouts sound like a good idea but I don’t think they will work here. Part of the reason I feel that way is mainly due to the local women drivers and older people. They can’t seem to “merge” into traffic let alone try to negotiate a roundabout. They are easily intimidated and will stop in the merge lane and wait for a “BIG” opening before proceeding, again holding up traffic. One easy fix would be to add more merge lanes and make the ones we do have longer for easier traffic flow. Then TRY to educate the people to use them correctly

I’m NOT anti-local or retired people as I’m getting there way to fast as it is! It is just the way it is out there on the hi-ways of the Big Island. Until we better educate that portion of the public, things will not get better with any amount of new lanes or hi-ways.

Please don’t yell at me for my views. I’m only expressing my frustration of the situation as I see it and of those that I have talked with who feel the same way.

Royall

What goes around comes around!

it would appear that the local drivers are "terrible road cowards",but let me try to explain it to you. Why do you suppose you get stink eye when you flash your lights? Locals know nothing about merging traffic! Why do we have to anyway? Before the big influx of ''Baby Boomers'',here to Puna, locals only had to 'proceed with caution'! That is the mentality of two lane traffic 'island style'. I even see this style of driving in Honolulu too. People at a dead stop waiting to get onto H1. We know it's risky driving,but tell that to the outer island driver and see what kind of a look you get!

Royall, to avoid any 'stink eye' remember this old cliche,"when in Rome do as the Romans do".

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Governor's East Hawaii Council of Advisors Meeting - by Beachboy - 01-25-2007, 12:01 AM