Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High Speed Rail Between Hilo and Kona
quote:
(Hubby also mentioned that the gradient over the Saddle would not be very good for the normal high speed rail systems)
The bus takes 40-45 minutes from Pahoa to the mall...with stops in Hawaiian Beaches....Really not that much slower than driving. Over the last two years they have added buses to the Pahoa route, so there are now 6 RT buses per day, 1st one starting at 6 in the morning into and ending at 10 at night. Almost all routes are now very close to the schedule (there is a midday route that should be tweaked, as it is rarely on time) How do I know? I ride the bus almost everyday. Is it as convienent as driving? NO! But it is not bad. The ride is free, anywhere on island. You can even take your bike ($1). For high speed we do have the option of air travel...
Pam, HOVE has a very limited transit, One bus a day during the week to Hilo - some students & profs use it to get to the University & some people that ride do so for jobs in Hilo, Some HOVE residents also work at the National Park & take the bus. Even with using a mini bus, it is usually not full until the Keaau stop. The students I have talked to say it is not bad, they would like more options...but they also realize that ridership on the one bus would need to increase to justify more.

Carrie, I commend you for your knowledge and for riding the bus. However, I'm not talking about a trip from Pahoa to the mall. I'm not looking for another alternative for the "slow" travel method that you are so proud of. We have the bus system and our vehicles. Wonderful to hear!

What I'm suggesting is the alternative to the air travel you mention as the only scheduled direct flight between Hilo and Kona is on Island Air.
As for gradients over saddle road, MagLev trains don't seem to have these issues.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_le...Propulsion

Take your bus to Kona...I'll wave to you on my way back that evening!

"What? Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Nueman

Edited by - wjbillock on 09/02/2007 13:04:59

Edited by - wjbillock on 09/02/2007 13:12:02
"Vote with your money!"

Messages In This Thread
RE: High Speed Rail Between Hilo and Kona - by missydog1 - 08-27-2007, 08:30 PM
RE: High Speed Rail Between Hilo and Kona - by carmel123 - 08-28-2007, 08:47 AM
RE: High Speed Rail Between Hilo and Kona - by missydog1 - 08-29-2007, 05:18 PM
RE: High Speed Rail Between Hilo and Kona - by wjbillock - 09-02-2007, 08:41 AM