Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The future is now! NO MORE GASOLINE!
Impossible guys and gals, at least for now. Sure, all these technologies should be the way of the future and I'm all for NOT polluting our enviroment but what about industrial continuity? We are logically compelled to live in the here and now and the now has an oil-driven prime-mover which can't be avoided, only mitigated by these various technologies.
Let's look at Puna's life blood, the highway, which is only a beginning and I'm convinced that in the future it will appear very different. Let's think about ways in which this boulevard can be improved since right now it's a nightmare and it's going to get worse unless something is done from a basic re-engineering standpoint.

First off, people are simply going to have to come to the understanding that the highway, in order to safely and efficiently handle the volume now being generated by an increased level of mainland population exodus, (which shows every indication that these levels will increase now that the babyboomers, born [starting in September of 1945] are now eligeble, at age 62, to receive Social Security. Couple that with x amount of years on the job from which many will extract a pension, and the fact that many purchased their homes when the market was appreciably at a lower value and, despite the fact that sales have slowed, can, even still, sell for a major gain. We could be facing a unique real estate boom here in Puna ... which of course would add to the population density, since the 'leading-edge' of this generation is retiring now and it's very possible that this comming summer will see increased home sales and a more crowded highway) are, due to the requirements which will be necessary to produce a highway which is relatively safe, are going to have their travel time impeded ... it's a simple trade off ... more time on the highway equals more safety ... since the current rate of accident, and we all see it, is unacceptable.

Of course the state and county will not be able to come up with the funds to spearhead a complete appropriate project, so the venture must be done as cheaply as possible if it's to be done at all. Basically the highway needs more stoplights, better overall illumination from streetlights and one alternative
lane which is concrete barricaded from the two main automobile lanes.

Here we are positioned with only two lanes, which by the way was the amount of lanes we had before the construction began in, I believe '94.
First of, public education, of which the county has been dearth to implement. People must understand that the main arterial in and out of Puna, in order to provide a safe and dependable system of transportation, will require them to slow down, period.

Lights must go in at the key intersections, and we all know which ones they are ... they're the intersections where all the people are being maimed and sometimes killed in traffic accidents because the state and county has turned it's back on Puna and rather saw fit to spend millions of our tax dollars on other projects outside of the district ... for instance, the new State/County/Whatever building now being constructed in Hilo (which looks like something straight out of the pages of Orwell), and will require an untold amount of funds just to keep it air condtioned. In any case, stoplights at Maku'u and Orchidland intersections and, since it shows every indication of growing and prospering, at the Maku'u market entrance.

So the way I see it, no matter how the design and engineering of the highway evolves in the future, quite possibly in anticipation of much higher gasoline prices, ie. some type of alternative lane for walking, bicycles, and yes, even beasts of burden, the stop lights and more street lights should go in first coupled with a public educational awarness program informing drivers that they are going to be compelled to slow down because of the lights being put in and other projects being considered, (and to plan accordingly in terms of commuting times.)

I want to state again. At this point in time, for the state and county not to have constructed a series of stop lights on the highway, specifically, but not limited to, Maku'u, Orchidland and Lelani intersections, is nothing less than a manifest demonstration of 'on the job' negligence and I feel it's fair to say that most of the people who have suffered, and I'm sure are now suffering from automobile accidents occuring at those mentioned intersections, can accurately assume that those agencies are responsible, since they did not fulfill their mandate to keep the highway safe.

I know the topic is gasoline, but the price of a gallon of gasoline is linked to the way we should develope OUR highway.

JayJay

Edited by - JayJay on 12/25/2007 01:37:16
JayJay

Messages In This Thread
RE: The future is now! NO MORE GASOLINE! - by JayJay - 12-24-2007, 09:17 PM
RE: The future is now! NO MORE GASOLINE! - by Guest - 02-15-2008, 06:05 AM