Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EBT, WIC, Welfare, Oh My! Punafare?
Aloha All!

Now this is not meant to be a negative post, though undoubtably many will post negatively, and some will be defensive.

I am just a little curious as to opinions on the prevalance and ubiquity of livin' on the "dole" here in Puna. I find myself developing opinions i am suspect of and would like to educate myself further.

I personally have no experience with any type of gov't aid that one might need to apply for. Seems like most people in Pahoa are on food stamps, and everytime i grocery-store shop people seem equally likely to pay for food w/ an EBT card as money. This is not something is saw outside of poorer neighborhoods on the mainland. Why is it so different here?

I in am in no way undermining the need or importance of food stamps, welfare, diability, state healthcare, or unemployement benefits. I know many who in my opinion need more help.

I have always been prejudiced against those who blame "welfare leeches" for gov't problems. Many things have been denied many a needy soul in the past, many gross abuses have been committed also.

Here I actually see a lot of abuse. Several people I know get benefits for "disabilities", i.e. i went to a doctor and got them to diagnose me as unable to work, for some absolutely fictional mental or physical ailment. Many of these are very young and have no debt or cost of living.

I also know as many here who have real diabilities and could use more help. My father is a retired cop, has a serious head injury and got no aid other than police benefits. Which halved about a decade ago. I wonder now why we never applied for aid. We certainly could have used it. Though my Dad was never the type for charity, and he worked several jobs during his worst periods.
I wonder how this affects my views now.

I see a lot of good in the generosity that Puna presents, (i've been told Puna i one of the easiest places to get aid) for instance a family of seven who just moved here w/o much were told that they get extra benefits for 6 monthes after giving birth because they want mom home w/ the newborn. She was planning on working. This policy seems logical to me. Escpecially with five kids; it would seem the more time the parents spend with them the better. It will probably cost society much less in the long run for six monthes of cash benefits than if the baby was negelected in any way. I am in no way undermining the amazing efforts some have invested in similair situations, working several jobs and long hours as single parents, etc. etc. These trials have been overcome in noble ways by many a person and help shape our society. These adversities make us stronger, but i wonder if those who have endured them wouldn't have preferred a little more assistance? How would it have affected them and their children?

I have been told one is limited to 5 years of welfare here, all at once or in chunks, over ones lifetime. This seems reasonable. I can't imagine that people constantly falsify their job hunts, but i have been told of individuals who will change their clothes and go ungroomed to the unemployement office whenever check time comes around!

It seems to me that any gov't healthcare acts to prevent more costs down the line when people end up in bad health and need lifelong care. Simple prophealatic medicine, healthcare, and (eek!) birthcontrol can save society a lot.

But foodstamps? What constitutes need? Some believe "Get it, while the gettin's good". Others asy private charities can fill the need. If you pay taxes you might as well collect any bennies you can?

I personally suspect that food prices here are artificially high (especially at places like the Pahoa Natch) because of the diposable income some have in the form of food stamps. Safeway heavily discounts meats at a certain time of the month because they want to empty up space for inventory so that when foodstamps get issued they're stocked up with new stuff.

I personally see a huge amount of non-governmental food aid around Puna. I personally stop on the side of the road to eat and pick guava, papaya, coconut/hapuia, kiawe berry, lilikoi, and avocados at least twice a week. I get jamaican lilikoi, mountain apples, prawns, jackfruit, and ulu when i go hiking. This isn't all i eat, but it substantially supplements my diet, it's free and healthy. Farmer's markets abound and are very socially responsible. Much produce ends up feeding the roaches and rats.

Is this just part of Puna, should I ignore it? I know tons of the literature i've read speaks of bohemians living off charity and sponsorship in Paris, LA, and New York. This seems a trend (at least in paris)that has been going on for centuries. Many i know have found ways to "beat" the system by either working under the table, sheltering their assets, selling things on the black market, or by outright fraud. Is this OK? Our gov't provides us with so much, but wastes so much too. I certainly would rather have Auntie buying short ribs, to grill on her new BBQ than have that money go to more "War on Terror" campaigns. How bout you? What's the deal?

So just my thoughts, i'm trying to be impartial and open-minded. I would appreciate it if we all stay as such.

I respect this forum and it's members and was curious as to their wisdoms.

Sincerely,

Hazen

Messages In This Thread
EBT, WIC, Welfare, Oh My! Punafare? - by Hazen - 08-31-2006, 10:14 AM
RE: EBT, WIC, Welfare, Oh My! Punafare? - by KeithLee - 09-05-2006, 09:19 PM