Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Un- Permitted Houses
Aloha.
There are a lot of un-permitted houses in the Puna area. Most of them seem poorly built or small structures not much more than a modified storage shed. I have found one that appears to be fairly well built – just without permits. Now this house doesn’t conform to code on a lot of what I consider minor areas such as the spacing of balusters on the lanai railings. Although it is structurally sound, I think it would be difficult but not impossible to make the corrections to bring it into compliance with codes to get it permitted. Getting it permitted isn’t real important to me except it would make re-sale a lot easier some day. I know you can’t get a mortgage or electric service with un-permitted houses but this house has a robust solar electric system and it is owner carry financing.
My questions to Punawebbers are:
Does the county “red tag” un-permitted houses or un-permitted additions when they become aware of them?
Does anyone know of a contractor that specializes at bringing houses into compliance and getting them permitted? It would be great to have a professional inspect the house and give me an estimate to get the house legal. Are there other hazards to buying an un-permitted house?
Mahalo

Messages In This Thread
Un- Permitted Houses - by Michael K2 - 10-02-2006, 05:42 AM
RE: Un- Permitted Houses - by Rob Tucker - 10-02-2006, 06:47 AM
RE: Un- Permitted Houses - by Carey - 10-02-2006, 06:58 AM
RE: Un- Permitted Houses - by Kapohocat - 10-02-2006, 11:43 AM
RE: Un- Permitted Houses - by oink - 10-02-2006, 01:52 PM
RE: Un- Permitted Houses - by Michael K2 - 10-03-2006, 01:15 AM
RE: Un- Permitted Houses - by Kapohocat - 10-03-2006, 03:21 AM
RE: Un- Permitted Houses - by Tahunatics - 10-06-2006, 09:11 AM