Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would the good people of Puna put up w/ this
I don't know the solution to our medical/insurance problem in America. But we DO have a problem. Anyone who thinks the current system isn't broke is delusional. (As an aside, some folks seem to believe it's unpatriotic to criticize anything about America. I submit that the opposite is true: that the mark of a great human being--and a great country--is the very ability to self critique--but that's a topic for another day.)

Some people are vehemently against socialized medicine. But no one seems to get upset about socialized education. Why?

For a democratic society to work (in theory, anyway), the citizens must be literate, correct?

Will a democratic society work if the citizens are not healthy? Do we care? Or does political dogma supersede our concern for our citizens? ("If-it-ain't-100%-free-market then screw it!" attitude...)

The critics of socialized medicine will point to all the failures around the world as justification for not socializing health care in America. Yes, failures abound, but successful models exist too. (Switzerland and Japan seem to be doing fine.) 10 years ago I'd have said that America's system was superior to Japan's (for example). At this juncture, I have to give Japan the edge. Whatever the pros and cons, we have to change something soon or conditions will continue to deteriorate. And it begs two questions: 1) Who's gonna pay for all this? And 2) Can we afford NOT to pay for it?

I'm not smart enough to have all the answers, and am not posting to argue politics--I'm an independent with no allegiance to any political dogma)--just raising some issues.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius

Messages In This Thread
Would the good people of Puna put up w/ this - by Guest - 02-11-2009, 06:19 AM
RE: Would the good people of Puna put up w/ this - by Guest - 02-11-2009, 06:47 AM
RE: Would the good people of Puna put up w/ this - by Guest - 02-12-2009, 06:02 AM
RE: Would the good people of Puna put up w/ this - by Guest - 02-12-2009, 10:21 PM
RE: Would the good people of Puna put up w/ this - by punafish - 02-13-2009, 04:58 AM
RE: Would the good people of Puna put up w/ this - by Guest - 02-16-2009, 12:43 AM
RE: Would the good people of Puna put up w/ this - by Guest - 02-16-2009, 11:38 AM