Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est.
Carey,

What do you mean by a termite policy? Insurance against termite damage? We have a contract with a pest control company that comes every month... but I have never heard of a termite policy.

Also, earthquake insurance is a joke. We looked into it when we lived in CA. To have it there you actually have to pay huge premiums, ours would have been $1,000 a month. And that was not even for 100% coverage, I think it was for 80% of the structural damages. It did not cover any losses to art and household goods either.

Our neighbors there just said, "If there is an earthquake that does damage to your house, turn on the gas and light a match." I think that is probably good advice for if your house gets surrounded by lava too. [Wink]

Try getting a Tsunami insurance policy! LOL. We are also over due for one of those buggahs.

Just out of curiosity, what do you do differently in downtown Hilo in an earthquake than other places? I think most people do not know what to do in an earthquake no matter where it is. Get under the bed!!!

Actually this last one kept going and I had enough time to think about doing just that... but not enough time to actually do it before it was over. My dog and cat were running around panicked. The cat jumped a few seconds before I felt anything.

quote:
Originally posted by Carey

The greatest danger for home on this island are termites & house fires, the greatest natural (if you don't count termites) danger is earthquake, & that is a constant threat, with up t 40 a week at times. Most of these are not in felt by us, but major damage ones happen about every 2 decades & areas of lava zones 8 & 6 have been the most effected by earthquake damage in the past century. (we have yet to find a company that insure for earthquake damage here, if anyone has info, love to have it)

So if you have a wood house & do not have a termite policy & an earthquake policy, the less likely chance of lava seems to be mote point... at least to me. If you are worried more about loss of life, do you know what to do if you feel an earthquake while in downtown Hilo? A survey done at the University found that a majority of respondents did not.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.eastbaypotters.com
www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est. - by Guest - 03-06-2009, 12:43 PM
RE: Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est. - by missydog1 - 03-07-2009, 06:14 AM
RE: Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est. - by missydog1 - 03-07-2009, 07:51 AM
RE: Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est. - by missydog1 - 03-08-2009, 12:02 PM
RE: Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est. - by missydog1 - 03-09-2009, 05:23 AM
RE: Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est. - by Devany - 03-09-2009, 10:44 PM