Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcanoes park to test hybrid shuttles
Mdd700,

Let me educate you a bit on hydrogen as an alternative fuel. Specifically your comment, "how will they get the hydrogen to the island and to the volcano area? By tanker truck,of course, after shipping it via ship."

Actually, they will get the hydrogen the same way Humboldt State's energy research lab got their hydrogen for their marine lab, generate it on site. Electrolysis, the same process the US Navy uses to generate oxygen for their subs is used, only unlike the Navy, the Park won't be keeping the O2, but the H2. Ultimately, I'd hope to see the hydrogen generated on site with solar panels. It works in Humboldt County for the University's marine lab and that place is pretty rainy also.

What's really interesting is the fact that this is cutting edge technology and it's happening right here. I'm not saying that this is the only place it's happening, but there will be lessons learned from this project and the next project will be even better.

The Park can't do anything about the plume, but it can do something about it's own actions. That's the point of the Park being "climate friendly". One step at a time we can improve our situation, as long as we take that step.

Regards,

Sean
See you in the surf

Messages In This Thread
RE: Volcanoes park to test hybrid shuttles - by Sean - 07-11-2009, 04:39 PM