Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need some advice
Was taking a shower yesterday and the shower pan filled up, water not draining. Got out and flushed the toilet to see if it was working and it wasn’t draining either. Went into the other bathroom and found that bathtub full of crud, toilet also, and water on the floor so apparently water had backed up and one or both had run over in the night? I did wake up about 2 a.m., realized I hadn’t started the dishwasher so got up and started it then but it doesn’t use that much water, at least it’s not supposed to. Anyway, plunged shower, toilet, no headway so called Roto-Rooter since they were here less than a year ago when I had roots in the main drain. RR came and snaked out to 70 feet with no clog, said he thought he was all the way into the cesspool and only explanation was it must be full. Then he quoted me $150 per hour to dig for the lid and $500 per load to pump it or I could try waiting three or four days to see if the cesspool would “catch up” and drain out. I have never been able to locate the cesspool on any plans (house started in 1968, finished in 1970) but the main pipe goes out the back and there is a sort of depression/sunken spot in the middle of the back yard that I figure is a good bet. During this last spate of rain, apparently the gutter directly over that main drain pipe blocked and the water poured in sheets off the roof in that spot. Could that water have gone into the cesspool and filled it? I use comparatively little water and I haven’t changed my habits lately. Anyway, no way can I afford RR’s price to find/pump the cesspool so, anybody have any suggestions? A good plumber, cesspool maintenance company, gutter cleaning service — not sure what exactly I need, but reasonably priced, who/whatever it may be. Right now I can’t let any water down any drain in the house so am using a camp toilet and running out to the hose for everything else — not fun! I was so distraught last night that I actually reached for the phone to call my mom and ask her what to do (and she’s been dead 10 years). Sorry if this is rambling, feeling a little desperate this morning, thanks for listening. Aloha.

too soon old, too late smart
I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.

Messages In This Thread
need some advice - by Lin W - 03-02-2007, 04:15 AM
RE: need some advice - by Kahunascott - 03-02-2007, 04:59 AM
RE: need some advice - by Carey - 03-02-2007, 05:41 AM
RE: need some advice - by ericlp - 03-02-2007, 08:28 PM
RE: need some advice - by oink - 03-03-2007, 03:16 AM
RE: need some advice - by Kapohocat - 03-03-2007, 08:41 AM
RE: need some advice - by Lin W - 03-05-2007, 03:02 AM