Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current status of animals to Hawaii
I didn't fly United because I am flying out of Sea Tac didn't want all the hours to go to CA and more cost. Longer Layovers for pup. no direct flights to Kona from SeaTac that would take a dog. Delta/NW and United more doubled my plane ticket price up to $1000 for flight but it was only $200 to $250 for crate and dog, plus the $165 interisland to Hilo, if didn't go direct. Hawaiian cheap flight less than $450 round trip (I go back in May) but $$225 for crate and dog or $640 one way if over 70 lbs. No Thanksgiving Dinner for pup.

Sad He has always been underweight becuase of energy and he finally put on weight this fall no normal. Thought I could have him go back to "normal" for him in a couple of months...when I made the reservation. He is 72 lbs now with crate. Thinking that would also cut the flight time down and price almost half. Believe me I wanted to fly direct to Kona but at this time it didn't work. If someone can correct me I would change my flight on the way back..too late to change paperwork now.

I couldn't go earlier in Dec because 120 day hadn't past can't go till Mid Dec(due to misimformed vets - wrong chips- didn't know you had to wait three weeks after last rabies shot if new, never saw that on paperwork) so got on the cusp for Holiday prices..If I waited till Jan probable could have gotten cheaper flights with other airlines. I had planned on being in Hawaii in November so didn't want to wait until Jan, still haven't seen any direct flights from Sea Tac. I wish Alaska would carry pets hopfully someday with direct flight to Kona or someone else would fly direct to Kona from Sea Tac. I have a two hour drive before even getting to the airport so I am trying to keep the time down - let him out before boarding- although he is good in a crate if have too for 12 hours.

Just recently I believe these rules have changed. Airlines are really cracking down on weight to save costs of fuel. I couldn't believe they weighed my friends carryon - normal size and he had to take out a sweatshirt out of his carryon less than 10 days ago because it was 26lbs vrs allowed 25lbs. Never seen that before. Wasn't like that last year or spring. I normally fly Hawaiian but mainly Alaska since it started last year to Kona.

Now I pray that a cold snap doesn't hit.. It should be fine but have seen it colder than 20 degrees in am at Sea Tac in Dec.. didn't know that rule also till talked to Hawaiian ticket counter.. unless vet puts on paperwork good to fly 20 degrees they won't fly dog if colder than 45 degrees. I am sure it will be colder than 45 degrees. When I get the process down I am sure it will be just fine. Firsts for everything.

Wish me luck and good luck to anyone else flying a critter. Aloha

Messages In This Thread
RE: Current status of animals to Hawaii - by NW friend - 11-29-2009, 11:59 PM
RE: Current status of animals to Hawaii - by Liz - 11-30-2009, 10:46 AM
RE: Current status of animals to Hawaii - by Liz - 12-05-2009, 05:16 PM