Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review of Hapuna State Park "cabins"
We just got home from 3 days staying at Hapuna State Park "cabins". They are referred to as shelters, not cabins on the state park website. I think that is because they are not all solid walls. For those of you who haven't been to the cabins I will describe them. There are 6 of them all spaced a good distance from each other so no noise is heard from the other sites. The cabins are half walls with metal A-frame roof and screened in upper walls. There is a table with benches and two sides of about 14 ft. twin bed width benches running along the sides of the cabin. We rented 2 cabins with one housing 4 adults and one housing 2 adults and 2 kids. The cabins have electricity and lights as well as plugs all working just fine.
You have to bring your bedding, towels, soap, utensils and cooking pots and pans and everything else, just like camping.
There are There are 2 bathrooms with 2 showers and toilets per building (showers divided between men and women). There is a large building with a common room that has lots of new picnic tables and at one end has a newly re-furbished kitchen area with counters and stove and oven and refridge.
The "cabins" and other buildings have all just been re-furbished and painted. They have new screens and roofs.
We had a few ants, but not fire ants. We think the ants were from some idiot leaving food in the cabin. The ants were not that bad, but they were around (not infested at all). No other bugs in cabins. There were cockroaches, centipedes, spiders or cockroaches around the cabins. We saw a few cockroaches outside the kitchen area, but again, just a few and NOT infested and they were just one or 2 nearby the shower area.
The cabins have their own keys and you are given keys to the bathrooms and the common building with kitchen. There was nobody but the folks staying there around. They have really improved the camp security and cleared out the bushes. The state park employee who stays there is a very nice guy and is keeping the place clean. There was no problem with food storage in the big common area. The 4 other cabins and ours just chose a shelf for each group and we all brought our coolers into the large room.
I can recommend the cabins right now as a good step up from tent camping. We had been forewarned that the cabins were real funky and mildewy and full of bugs. I can see how the cabins would have been awful before they were re-done. But right now they are a nice step up from camping.
The cabins are $30 night and you reserve them on-line. The reservation system was easy to use.

If you are thinking of going to the other side, for $30 per cabin a night and you are ok with a step up from camping where you bring your own bedding, etc. then I would suggest you go now, this year while all the screening and paint and everything is new and in great condition.
BTW, the grills at Hapuna are also new and we loved going there at night and cooking while the sun set. The beach really clears out and you have it to yourself. We took night beach walks and it was wonderful.
hawaiideborah

Messages In This Thread
Review of Hapuna State Park "cabins" - by hawaiideborah - 01-04-2012, 06:35 AM
RE: Review of Hapuna State Park "cabins" - by missydog1 - 01-05-2012, 01:22 PM