Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sovereignty squatters arrested
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

a prominent educator at UH said back in the early 90s, "Only white people can be racists."

Not sure if this poem on racism (below) is the reference, or just something written in the same vein. It will be difficult for descendants of all Hawaiian Nationals to receive Hawaiian citizenship if Haunani-Kay Trask is on the committee to decide who's in and who's out:

A Hawaiian Studies professor at the University of Hawaii, Haunani-Kay Trask*, is one of the most caustic critics of whites in the islands. Trask wrote: "Just as … all exploited peoples are justified in feeling hostile and resentful toward those who exploit them, so we Hawaiians are justified in such feelings toward the haole. This is the legacy of racism."

In a poem titled, "Racist White Woman," Trask wrote: "I could kick/Your face, puncture/Both eyes./You deserve this kind/Of violence./No more vicious/Tongues, obscene/Lies./Just a knife/Slitting your tight/Little heart."

More on (non)-racism in Hawaii from the Southern Poverty Law Center, not generally know for siding with the white folks:
https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/...-prejudice

* Born in California, educated at the University of Wisconsin

HOTPE, she is not (BBM). However, her knowledge of history is quite impressive. No matter her terms used, it's the same as what was bestowed upon many Hawaiians. Again, some were beaten for speaking our language, and worse. (ie. Massie case, etc.)

Professor Haunani Trask is one of the original activists, and was part of the path we walk today. "Haoles" don't like her, as she calls it as she sees it. With verve. Her father was a brilliant man, as was her grandfather. She comes from solid stock.

Back to topic, (since some of you seem to want to continue the barbs towards a legitimate argument for some of us) these squatters and their kind are not what we represent as a people. At all. We kicked off several squatters off our land today, claiming "sovereignty". (Puhleaze!)

They were from Connecticut, Arizona, and California, kicked off a reservation, or so they claim. (All Caucasian, not that it matters; if they were "kanaka", I'd still kick them out, for the record.) The trash they were making, the ice (not for the cooler) they had on them, and the filthy stench that surrounded them was disgusting. One sharpened a knife as we talked, looking at us with disdain. Told him to use it well for hunting, or my kupuna will "dull his light". He sits on MY Kupuna land, not his. Jerk. He did apologize for his disrespect once I didn't freaking blink. [Sad!]

Imagine, claiming "sovereignty", as a foreigner, on Hawaiian owed land was a bit much for me to accept. At least, they left with their crap, and vice took them with ice pipe in pockets (I didn't know my nephew had called police). Bunch of disrespectful jerks.

Additionally, Kaimana is not only calm, but correct. It is rough being a minority on this forum, however, you've held composure. Mahalo.

JMO.

P.S. Oh, and not responding to any backlash of this comment. Kinda done with this crap. Where's the "snooze" button, please? lol. We all have our own opinions. It would be appreciated if some would (again) leave the snide comments aside, and try to accept others do not always agree with you. (Not you HOTPE, directly, in general)
"Haoles" don't like her, as she calls it as she sees it.

There are many people who call it as they see it, and I appreciate hearing their point of view. You are one, opihkao, as well as Kaimana & dakine, etc.

It's not that the Trask sisters tell it like it is. It's that when they do, I usually expect the flying monkeys* to start circling.

* Wizard of Oz reference, if there was any doubt
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
LMAO! I truly have fond aloha for you, HOTPE! Flying monkeys is about it! With due respect to the Trask sisters, and their Kupuna. It is their way of expressing a position, albeit straight to the core of belief, sans the niceties. Warriors for our people, to their last breath. I have great admiration for their dedication and commitment, although delivery is quite abrasive at times.

At least, I went to Sears Charm School (circa 1969&70; Second floor of Sears at Ala Moana). Curtsey to the right. [Smile]

Bless you, HOTPE, your wit is not lost on me. Have a lovely day, it's been a pleasure.

JMOO. (*Still giggling, at flying monkeys...One of my favs next to Gone with the Wind, and Mary Poppins...TMI, kala mai. At least you took my brain off those damn people for a New York second. Mahalo!)
quote:
Originally posted by dan d

The last one was a very interesting article
My son went to Honokaa HS he was one of only 10 white kids there and everyday had to deal with white discrimination from the kids
We lived in the middle of a predominantly filipino housing area and he got along well with everybody

Dan D
HPP

Sorry to hear this, dan d. Gypsy69 also had the same experiences as I recall. Those of us who went to Punahou, as a Hawaiian, got the reverse. Every, single day. I feel your son's pain, firsthand, perhaps in reverse, but it sucks. Please know, it will make him stronger, with your help. It did me, with my Kupuna teachings. [Smile]

May he live a great life, and prosper, while making you proud, no matter the hardships along the path.

My sincere aloha to your son.

JMO.
Might as well toss a bucket of gas on this thing ...

A couple pleasant(ly) related songs for Saturday afternoon ... Opihikao cover ears in advance : )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fe9XfHML1k

pog
self made minority
[quote]Originally posted by opihikao

[In summary - basically, . .why, because. JMO]
Love it, pog. Always enjoy your perspective; sometimes takes some "think time", but I get it; eventually. Aloha to you.

Going back outside and kicking the mo'opuna out of the pool, since they just ate! [Wink] Tutu's turn. It's bloody hot! (Sorry, O/T)

Leaving you with this (volley...lol. j/k):

Persuasion, as it were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDl8ZPm3GrU

JMOIO. (*Not the o'io fish either!)

Might as well toss a bucket of gas on this thing ...

You do know how to keep it burning pog!
Do you take requests? Just keep it down a little so you don't singe any feathers on the flying monkeys. Not the kind of thing you'd want to have come down in the bonfire, or on top of you.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Nice one !

O.K. nomo' drama ... Your early evening, pool music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSQAlfyaKyc

aloha,
pog
quote:
Originally posted by pog

Nice one !

O.K. nomo' drama ... Your early evening, pool music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSQAlfyaKyc

aloha,
pog

For the win, pog! (Double curtsey) Mahalo.

Love it.(From the manini pool [Big Grin], this is blasting! Haven't heard this in an age.)

Enjoy your evening, pog. Always a pleasure.

ETA: Listening to the entire track: LMAO, as the next song is "The World is a Ghetto". [Big Grin]