Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inbound missle from N. Korea alert.
It will now!

Perhaps -- wouldn't want to rush into this without some studies and surveys.
This article makes an excellent point... "They're lying".

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=232787

I'd like to add that my 1st thought was the system was hacked and probably by NK or their ally China. If that were true, we may never know or we would find out many moons later.

Going further with that supposition, if the system were hacked there are several good reasons an enemy would do that. Just like this country and the USSR used to do with each other. Send planes close to or into the others air space to "test" there response times and capabilities. The same with naval forces.
Exactly what NK, China, Russia and the US are still doing today.
That article makes no excellent points whatsoever.
They're lying".
From caveat emptor's link:
... but the people who sounded the alarm really believed there was an inbound attack... Who thought there really was an incoming ballistic missile headed for Hawaii -- and why?

If that's the case, I would guess the most likely agency capable of detecting a real incoming missile threat would be the Air Force. Assuming it's the Air Force for the sake of argument, did anyone see every jet at Hickam Field scramble into the skies over Oahu yesterday? Because they wouldn't want to lose their planes on the ground in a nuke blast. If 100's of planes went airborne in a matter of minutes, it would have been quite a sight, recorded by everyone with a cell phone at the airport and uploaded to YouTube.

What about the Navy? Did ships quickly head out of Pearl Harbor?

Who, other than the Air Force or Navy are capable of detecting a North Korean missile launch? Not any State of Hawaii agency that I know of.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Where I used to work we had a "buddy system" for rebooting servers, because a few teammates were lax in double-checking which terminal they were at. The oh-**** factor at what they'd done, and the embarassment of having a rule to commemorate their screw-up was quite prophylactic towards future errors. So in some cases it's better to keep an employee that has already screwed up once, as long as they own up to and regret it...
I used to tell folks that Civil Defense was about the only function the State of Hawaii managed to get right. So much for that!
there is no way the alert system didn't already have a two person (at least) multi layered fail safe program in place to prevent accidental alerts.

Mmmm, yeah that's giving way too much credit for planning to just about any system, let alone a Hawaii government one. Lots of computer people were sharing stories of poor design in the wake of this. E.g., the "reboot mainframe" button right next to the "automatic door open" button; single-key commands where R=rewind tape, E=erase tape (look at where they are on a keyboard), etc.
Relax. Just get a Hawaii federal judge to block all incoming missiles.
First, the Police Chief of Honolulu, and his wife, are criminals - now the 3 Stooges are running the Civil Defense system. Also, there was the Billy sleezeball Kenoi fiasco. Hawaii and her people deserve sooo much better. [Sad]
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

That article makes no excellent points whatsoever.

Thanks for your opinion, Paul. We'll all make a note of it.