Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK
quote:
Originally posted by glinda
... the inconclusive state that has been maintained all these years. Had all parties worked for and come to conclusions the issue would be way different than the generations of dangling possibilities without any commitment to any of them.

I think this is an excellent point.

The prospect that the Hawaiian Kingdom will spring back into existence and take over is about as likely or desirable as "the South rising again" on the mainland. The crackpots fostering such ideas, or trying to necromance a dead and idealized culture back into existence, and their virtue signaling supporters, are just keeping an old wound open and giving people false hope.
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

Are "the Hawaiians" going to grow all their own food
I bet they would.

Have you ever visited any other Pacific island? Or read about them? Can you name a single island or atoll in the ocean where people grow or harvest or fish for a majority of the food they consume? Tom Hanks in Castaway doesn’t count.

“I think your article has been interpreted as that you were OK with dwarf-tossing.” - Sen Mazie Hirono 2/5/19, questioning the qualifications of a judicial nominee, perhaps with empathy for the Menehune, and their historical plight

I CAN. the Island of ANUTA! the entire island of Anuta relies majorly on fish to survive, and also grow taro plants to supplement their fishy harvests! Smile they are Polynesian people just like Hawai'ians, and play ukeleles and stuff!

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile
Investigated! Not laws were broken!

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/03/13/...mauna-kea/

"UH is in the process of developing administrative rules, an essential resource management tool that would address these types of situations."

Solution: write more laws!
Hawaii's 11th Commandment: Any action, no matter how trivial, that offends any aggrieved party must be prohibited....
The state & county should set up a website, hotline, & app called KapuNet, with live representatives standing by. People could click or call when they’re about to do something like ski down Mauna Kea on jagged cinders and find out in advance whether it’s kapu or hiki no.

“No? How about Mauna Loa? Bryson’s?”

Jobs. For Hawaii.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
>How about Mauna Loa? Bryson’s?”

I periodically gather lava rocks or pieces for my garden. I avoid the Leilani area and go to a convenient site I have used for years: 100 yards past the Pahoa dump on the mauka side. The giant 2014 flow stretches miles into the distance. (I think this is all state land. Property on makai side is private and fenced.)

Was returning to my car with a notebook-size piece of lava and some Hawaiian-looking folks pulled up and started ranting about disrespecting the land by taking lava. My appearance and especially my car are very non-tourist; it wasn't an issue of lava leaving the island.

Just lava rocks being taken.

We can expect the list of kapu offenses against native Hawaiian culture to expand steadily. Seems Hawaiians are expanding their activism, and some non-Hawaiians are supporting this. Almost a bit like pandering....
ok . you painted the picture the way u wanted . Now what were they exact words please ? This matters too.
Was returning to my car with a notebook-size piece of lava

The floral industry uses tons of lava weekly, They grow orchids, anthuriums, bromeliads, and more for on-island cut flower production, as well in pots for shipping off island. Yet, nobody stands around yelling when they load up tons of lava by the truckload, nobody rants at the potted plants in Home Depot, or Wal-Mart.

Selective kapu offense...

The lava near the transfer station stretches mauka all the way to Pu’u O’o.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
RWR: "you painted the picture the way u wanted . Now what were they exact words please ?"

I was on the 30 foot high lava outcrop next to the road and they pulled up and said something about the area being kapu and not taking lava. And then drove off. Not a big deal, but it happens periodically around the island.

Some of the protectors, apparently disgruntled about the MK situation and their inability to protest effectively up there, sometimes take their protection activities to other sites. Sometimes a spur of the moment thing after they've had some fire water.

Does the size of the rocks matter? If not then the "protectors" can rack up karma points big time by protesting outside Sanfords and Puna Rock. They desecrate rocks literally by the TRUCKLOAD and if you count cinders and all the grades of sand we are talking probably TRILLIONS of sacred rocks that need their attention.