Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello Mr. Wolf, won't you please sit down?
The arid land in California is farmed intensively because the government subsidizes water for irrigation -- the big corporations have their hands in taxpayers (yours and my) pockets!

As esnap points out, the correct term is "arable", which is principally about the condition of the soil and not about the climate and "arid" is about the climate.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
My point was that any land can be farmed with the right additives or crops. Those big corps. also feed a major part of the nation(like us)and they do it pretty cheap.

Can you say you are getting nothing from the state to start a fractionally beneficial business, which the state will assure by blocking cheap imports, will you be operating with a subsidy backing your crop? Leaving the rest of us to eat stale corporate veggies from Cali., while you could surely outgrow any big corp.
Gordon J Tilley
LOL... excuse me for not having a Ph.D....

It has been shown that all Man needs to turn a desert into a garden is the desire.

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
It could also be said that all it takes to turn a garden into a desert is ignorance.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
very true...

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Some cultures can manage to starve in the best conditions while others turn deserts and terrible land into gardens of Eden look at what the Israelis and the Dutch do and compare that with what Mugabe has done with Zimbabwe.

Ding Ding Ding Ding.....

Transplanted Texan
quote:
Originally posted by Jon

LOL... excuse me for not having a Ph.D....

It has been shown that all Man needs to turn a desert into a garden is the desire. ...
"need"

And, it has been shown that all Man needs to turn a garden into a desert is greed.

Smile

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
quote:
Originally posted by gtill

My point was that any land can be farmed with the right additives or crops. Those big corps. also feed a major part of the nation(like us)and they do it pretty cheap.

Can you say you are getting nothing from the state to start a fractionally beneficial business, which the state will assure by blocking cheap imports, will you be operating with a subsidy backing your crop? Leaving the rest of us to eat stale corporate veggies from Cali., while you could surely outgrow any big corp.

If you need something to eat, let me know. We share.

Not relying on the 'state'.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park

Another key factor in Puna real estate prices being destined to climb higher and higher over the next decade or so, at least according to my crystal ball:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/12/...index.html

Puna has abundant water and will continue to enjoy abundant water.

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

Pres. John Adams, Scholar and Statesman

"There's a scientific reason to be concerned and there's a scientific reason to push for action. But there's no scientific reason to despair."

NASA climate analyst Gavin Schmidt

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(