Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CoH: Pay as you throw? $2 per bag?
Since a whole can of worms has been opened here, no sense excluding anything.

I think most people here are focusing on how to keep things going in the most practical manner. What Jay has introduced, is actually extreme governed (by government) control of production/consumption of anything in form of front-loaded taxes. Sadly I'm sure if implemented the county will never reduce the property taxes in like, so effectively all we've done is volunteer to fatten the county in hope of controlling people's behavior.

If we accept that such taxes will actually change people's behavior, as in - causing them to consume and waste less, then can we also accept that every other tax cuts down on the activity that it's related to? i.e. airport tax (reduced travel), transient tax (reduced tourism), income tax (people invest less), etc. For years, the beaurocrats have been professing that all of these taxes can be implemented and continually raised, in order to collect more public funds. But if Jay's science is correct, then raising these tax rates actually would reduce the activity and perhaps make the county/state/fed even more starved for cash.

Just a point to consider whenever someone proposes raising a tax in order to solve a cash shortage.

Bob's points are also valid and relevant if the trash would be considered a-la-carte, because every single so-called service is arguable as to its effect on each individual. And the point about the resident exemption is a great point, it acts in inverse to every logical principle discussed here.
Check out Sustainable Island Products at 1888SISP2YOU.com. These people distribute incredible products made only from sugarcane and potatoes. They offer functional flatware, plates and bowls made only from the above sources. Amazingly, it is really not that more expensive. When I saw this at the Sustainability Expo, I was very impressed. After use at a picnic, you can throw these items into the compost.
So interesting! I found them at www.1888SIP2YOU.com - just a small typo.

Carrie

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it." Galadriel - LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
I will not be paying at the transfer station. To me and others it is nothing more than setting up a slush fund for another fleecing organization. To introduce new fees with out getting the public to except or not is just nothing more that power brokering and an abuse of the power.

My answer is this:

It is legal to heat your own hot water so using a burn barrel with a copper coil attached to it and then attached to an outside shower head. You are allowed to choose what material you want to fuel your fire to heat the water. I’ll choose to use rubbish, end of story.

Others will follow suit and then new laws will have to be made. What a bunch of BULLSH!T because of power brokering.

The Lack

The Lack Toons
Does anyone know where the SIP is physically located? Just curious. Mahalo.

mella l

"New York London Paris Hilo"
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
I belive its at Region 9's office of the EPA. (that is if you mean the EPA's State Implementation Plan for the State of Hawaii)
quote:
Originally posted above

For that matter, shouldn't those with no children pay less taxes than those with children?

I think the mind that sees the world that way reveals itself to be on par with many of our distant bipedal relatives. As long as one has plenty bananas, feels safe in their environment, and is warm and dry, all is peachy! whereas to be human, is to be able to consider the greater good, and formulate the desire to contribute to it.

if we as citizens we're to cripple our educational system further then the abusively low way in which it is fiscally treated today, you sure couldn't expect to think of the USA as a first world country for very much longer
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted above

For that matter, shouldn't those with no children pay less taxes than those with children?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, people with no children should pay more taxes as it's the children that parents pay to raise that will be carrying the burden that those of us today are placing on them.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
quote:
Originally posted above

No, those who never were children should pay less taxes.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Ok, I'll go with that one too.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.