Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VICTORY in sight for Gay Civil Unions
Be careful what you do with your goat, Savu Savu. If you are having sex with your goat (and I am not suggesting that you are), your side won't let you abort the result.

By the way, we don't allow unions with those who cannot consent. I am pretty sure your goat would say "Naaaaaah" if your goat could consent. Pretty sure you are used to hearing that.

As I said, leave my Saliosi alone! What do you know about relationships? I bet I have a better relationship with my goat than most of you have with your wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends, cookie jars, whatever! Do you know anything about goats? Maybe that "Naaaaaah" is a "Yaaaaaah" but either way it's not your damned business!
Sorry. Didn't mean to get your goat. And WHAT A GOAT! Man.......
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

OLG,
Maybe you are being just a little too literal and missed the whole point of the left handedness posts, satire is easy to misread sometimes. Perhaps being a relative newcomer and not knowing who the players were on that set of posts explains how you could interpret it as "making light and uncomfortable with gays and lesbians gaining rights." But I thought it was pretty funny satire, and I am one of the more literal people around and usually the last one to get a joke.

Carol

Wow, did the comparison to being left-handed really go over anyone's head? Apparently so. Let me spell it out. People are born a certain way, and sometimes they are in the minority, and it would be absurd to deny anyone the same basic civil rights based on how they were born. Personally I would argue that people shouldn't be discriminated against based on their choices which don't harm others, such as the choice to be a certain religion. The percentage of people born left-handed is similar to the percentage that would be openly gay, lesbian, or bisexual in a world without any bigotry or social repurcussions for doing so. Discriminating based on sexual orientation is really as bizarre and unjustifiable as discriminating against people because they are left-handed. And interestingly, religion actually has been used against left-handed people, and many have been coerced into trying to pretend they are really right-handed. And that is as insane as coercing gays into trying to be straight. To me, anyone uncomfortable with gays, or making any sort of argument that they should not receive equal treatment under the law is as lunatic fringe crazy as saying left-handed people should not have government recognition of relationships they're in.

My phony argument that recognizing left-handed relationships would require recognizing relationships with jars of pickles was alluding to people like Savu Savu who make phony arguments like "my relationship with my goat should be recognized" and shows 1) they are lying and making a phony argument and there is no movement to recognize this hypothetical relationship that doesn't exist in any meaningful and measurable way, and 2) they have apparently no understanding of civil rights, the constitution, laws, love, humanity, etc in this country so their absurd phony arguments are about as valid as someone claiming they have a relationship with a jar of pickles. So thanks for Savu Savu for proving my point.

Robguz, A sincere thank you.
Yes, I am slow on the uptake with some of the posts. Not really experienced at reading and writing emails, let alone blogs. Just started this computer thing a couple months ago with a great gift of an ipad. I am laid-up from an accident so my young son thought this was a good time to teach old dad how to get with the times and join the internet. Anyway, pleas excuse my literal-ness. I am glad you took the time to explain the posts. Sorry you needed to do that and I will try to look at the meanings before I assume what is being said/written.

Robguz, I really like your anologies to left-handedness and pickles now that I "get it".
Thanks again for taking the effort to educate my literal brain.[Big Grin]
Okay. Civil Unions are legal. Let's be careful out there -- marriages have just become oh-so-fragile because I can enter into Civil Union in Hawaii. Get out your fainting couches.

Today was a very good day.

Civil Unions signed into law in Hawaii, and the Executive Branch of the United States Government - along with the US Department of Justice - declaring that Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) unconstitutional when applied to state sanctioned, legally married same-sex couples.

President Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder have advised the Speaker of the House that no longer will the Executive Branch or the DOJ continue to defend Section 3 in court because of the discriminatory nature inherent and the lack of precedents in some affected jurisdictions.

Several lower courts have already ruled that Section 3, which holds same-sex couples to a somewhat different standard, and DOMA are discriminatory.

Equality in marriage does not yet exist, but based on today's actions and previous court rulings - serious cracks are starting to develop regarding the continuation of denied equal rights to some citizens.

I grow more and more proud of my country and of my state.

This was indeed a very good day!!

This is from a friend of mine's FB post and just something to think about:

"So let me get this straight..Larry King is getting his 8th divorce, Elizabeth Taylor is possibly getting married for a 9th time, Britney Spears had a 55 hour marriage, Jesse James and Tiger Woods, while married, were having sex with EVERYONE. Yet, the idea of same-sex marriage is going to destroy the institution of marriage? Really?"
agreed - one can not legislate morality. Nor should we subsidize any formalized relationships with tax breaks from the government. Discrimination against single folks in its purest sense.
quote:
Originally posted by OrchidIslander

Today was a very good day.

Civil Unions signed into law in Hawaii, and the Executive Branch of the United States Government - along with the US Department of Justice - declaring that Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) unconstitutional when applied to state sanctioned, legally married same-sex couples.

President Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder have advised the Speaker of the House that no longer will the Executive Branch or the DOJ continue to defend Section 3 in court because of the discriminatory nature inherent and the lack of precedents in some affected jurisdictions.

Several lower courts have already ruled that Section 3, which holds same-sex couples to a somewhat different standard, and DOMA are discriminatory.

Equality in marriage does not yet exist, but based on today's actions and previous court rulings - serious cracks are starting to develop regarding the continuation of denied equal rights to some citizens.

I grow more and more proud of my country and of my state.

This was indeed a very good day!!

Thank you for posting this information.
CONGRATULATIONS to the gay and lesbian population.
However, until we are all equal this is just a drop in the bucket. We need for all adults to be able to have equal rights to marry.

As kapohocat posted, some heterosexuals abuse their right to marry and do not take it seriously, it is still a right that heterosexuals have and that gays and lesbians do not have. This is America and we all deserve equal rights under the law.