Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
ISS, Tiangong, Satellites Over Puna
As we post these messages, three astronauts are currently returning to Earth from the ISS. The capsule left the station this evening at 19:52 Hawaii time and should "touch down" at around 23:15 HST tonight. NASA TV have been showing this live:

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/

I used apostrophes as touch down is not an apt description. It's more of a controlled crash.
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

If you've ever wondered what goes on in the ISS as it passes overhead, here's a virtual video tour by the European Space Agency:

http://www.space.com/33164-virtual-tour-...ation.html

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky

Thank you for the link- it is an interesting video.
Thanks for that video link, HOTPE, that was a good tour!
*bump* Just over an hour to go. Looking good.
Thank you for the reminder! Did y'all see it??? (Too cloudy and rainy for us...shucks!)
Yup, the ISS was bright tonight, even with the moon backlighting low hanging clouds in the eastern sky.

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
It shone right through the clouds!

Thanks Tom (and science)
Saw it in the clear spots between the clouds and occasionally even behind the cloud. It was a particularly bright pass so was easy to spot. Sorry the thicker clouds and rain prevented you seeing it, Opihikao, but there will be further opportunities! I'll let you know shortly when they'll be.
Mahalo, Mr. Tom, Sir. We had to settle for "Somemores"....Double Hershey's chocolate.

[Smile]

ETD(delete): Double smiley thingy...no glasses.
Opihikao,

24th July and 19th August are the next best evening opportunities. It can be seen before then, but those are both very bright evening passes. Details nearer the time.