Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VICTORY in sight for Gay Civil Unions
Yes, there should be equal rights under the law.

I really did nothing to deserve the right to file a joint tax refund, for example, other than exercise my right to marry. It's saved me a lot of money over the years, but I was born heterosexual (and right-handed), so the rights were handed to me automatically, and withheld from others. That is wrong.

I'm sorry that all (human) couples don't have the right to marry in Hawai'i. Jars of pickles, goats and their masters -- have fun as swinging singles ... [Wink]

Congratulations to all who benefit from the Civil Unions bill, and hope it's not long before gay and lesbian marriage can be on the table again without getting shut down. I don't think the state should have the right to ban it ... but apparently it manages ... hope that comes to an end.

[Smile]

"Sometimes it's not enough to know what things mean, sometimes you have to know what things don't mean." — Bob Dylan

The other thing besides tax returns saving married couples money is health care. Gay and lesbian couples can not claim each other on their health care coverage. They get no discount and both have to pay the high individual rate rather than the family rate. If one is employed and the other unemployed they can't be carried on the employed person's insurance coverage.

There are probably other money saving advantages besides taxes and insurance, but can't think of them right now.
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH
Yes, there should be equal rights under the law...Jars of pickles, goats and their masters -- have fun as swinging singles ...[Wink]
You should have looked up the definition of "swinging singles" before posting. I have a committed relationship with my goat, probably even more committed than some marriages. Yes, there should be equal rights under the law. Being gay and lesbian have not been easy for a very long time in the USA, not to mention some other countries, it is still a criminal offense in some. It took a long time to get to this point of civil unions, but we shouldn't stop there. While it might be unconventional for some to recognize a relationship as mine with my goat, the time will come, like it or not. Just like the time came for gays and lesbians.
Lol, but I was taking license with the definition because it was a joke.

I'm glad you two are happy, and point taken about marriages -- still I think that people's committed relationships with their phones, computers, iPads etc.. will soon far outnumber the human-goat dyads. Your relationship with your goat is a relic of the pastoral age, Savu Savu. One day you will meet the perfect virtual goat, and your commitment to your current partner may be tested.

"Sometimes it's not enough to know what things mean, sometimes you have to know what things don't mean." — Bob Dylan
I heard Apple is coming out with an I-Goat!