Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Champagne Pond - Best solutions?
Hey Mo,

I missed this one;

"want to keep in your "thoughts" and/or prayers and/or "wishes"-for-wellness over the next few days."

As you've most likely figured out, I'm not much on "thinking" and If "wishes" were fishes we'd all be at that pond...

But, I can certainly put him on a "prayer" list. If we had a first name or even initials that would be good but not a necessity. And yes, it works!

Blessings,
dave

"Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield"
Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young

malolo, every time I click on this topic for the update, I'm thinking about him and hoping it's not bad news.

I don't wan't to invade his privacy, but I would like to know more what happened to him. Can you tell us where he was swimming? What did he contract? Are they sure it was from the water and a couple bites? If so, people should be made aware of the risks through the grapevine if it isn't making the media.

Mmmm.
Thanks, you two.
Sincerely.

I hate to say any more at the present though, partially because of obvious privacy concerns, partially because I honestly don't have all the answers, (and partially because I don't want to hijack the thread!).

Precisely which pond? I'm not sure.
And whether it's staph run amuck, or vibrio, or something else entirely? Again, not sure.

In the meantime, 'til we learn more about this specific incident, there are others to read about here:

Kapoho Hot Pools Potentail Bacterial Problemshttp://fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1&tid=34841139

Expert advice: outdoors, wounds don't mixhttp://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/articl...70348.html

How safe is the water"http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/articl...70349.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by - malolo on 12/09/2007 08:09:26
I think there are only 2 options; Either close off the road to vehicle access or create a county park and maintain it.

My choice would be to close off the road. It is a very small piece of the Aina to facilitate many people.

People can walk in if they choose. I think that closing the road would keep the volume of folks down to a manageable level and those who hike seem to be less likely to litter.

Aloha, Dan

Right now this is state land, and the county is starting to look at any potential to work between state & county. Even something as simple sounding as blocking off the road involves state or county gov't working in a coastal zone....And that is a double trigger for impact statements....
This is a very thorny issue, and because of the cultural sites that are very near the roads, I truly do believe it is in the best interest for this area that impact statements are prepared. This is a way to look at any impact that any work is likely to do....unfortunately this will take time, and there are many people that will continue to use the roads that were illegally built to the ponds.
For the area, I truly wish that I had an answer that was perfect, but after the studies I have done on this area, I do see that all impacts of every action to this area should be looked at by the community & the government officials....It may seem like silliness to some, but how else can you get the broad input from the many stakeholders in this state land that is required by law?

malolo, thank you for the links, I read them all. Well had seen them before, but I reread them.

This one that was linked within one of them is good too.http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/May/07/ln/FP605070349.html

it goes over all the major infections here, whose at risk, how to treat it. I found the info on vibrio especially educational.

Still hoping the kid is getting better!

Yeah.
That is a good one, Kathy.
(Scary, too!)
Mahalo.

As for our (outrageously cool) young neighbor? Though not out of the woods by any means, there's finally some good news to report. He's beginning to speak again (...as opposed to his having been "unresponsive," and his having to have excess fluid drained from his brain). Plus he's able to sit up.

He's scheduled for more dialysis, and more time in the hospital to build up his strength, begin walking again, etc, however! ....thanks to the thousands of collective cerebral/celestial tugs on his behalf over the course of the last week...and the marvels of modern medicine of course...things are definitely looking up.

Sincere thanks, once again, to all for your concern.

Y'know, as Glen said earlier, there's a lesson here for all of us, I'm sure.

We need to first of all to be aware of the deadly microscopic dangers out there in the "beautiful clear blue water." If we've got even the teensiest of bites/scratches/cuts/whatever, we need to forgo the urge to immerse ourselves in the septic soup 'til they've completely healed. And we need to clean up our act.

Once again, sorry for the detour to your thread, Rob. Back to the "Best solutions..." for Champagne Pond.

~~~~~~~
Marine Swimming–Related Illness: Implications for Monitoring and
Environmental Policy http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=1240366&blobtype=pdf

It seems to me there is only one direction Puna will take and that's faster and faster growth and here's why.

Since the Oprah & Trump revelation on Puna, the demographic has been involved in basic plateau building where the first thrust of the onslaught relocated based on the news. Now they're here and we see them daily (and for the most part they're productive and a positive addition to the area on the whole.) But now the word IS getting out since people know people, just in time (or in sequence with) the leading edge of the baby-boomers born after September of '45 - who just happen to be turning 62 (which is the age when one can receive Social Security - which includes Medicare.) These individuals have assets - and their kids are grown and out of the home so they are free to live almost anywhere. In addition, even though the real estate market has moved down, this group bought well before, or during the appreciation cycle, so in a sense the market is sill 'up' for them ... and the Dow, S & P, and Nasdaq are positioning for reapproaching the highs we saw this summer, so their investments seem solid. The group is highly mobile with deep pockets. In my opinion all indicators tell me that the Big Island, and Puna, are about to enter a growth cycle which county government isn't even remotely capable of handling. For instance, millions can be spent on a new administrative building in Hilo yet not even one life-saving stoplight has been installed on the highway in years and of course there are many other examples and perhap I'll go into them later. To say that county government seems jaundiced is a veritable understatemt. The good news is that there are people with appropriate answers to such a potential problem in terms of populaton increase and that's where agencies like 'The Friends of Puna' should prove invaluble. The bottom line is that county government is highly unimaginative and has become purely functionary and needs to be led by private concerns more up to the task.

It's not going to be an easy path but hopefully it will be the best path possible.

JayJay

Edited by - JayJay on 12/11/2007 04:35:56

Edited by - JayJay on 12/11/2007 04:42:47
JayJay
quote:
Since the Oprah & Trump revelation on Puna,.......

This is one big URBAN LEGEND! Oprah never mentioned Puna!

The truth is, Winfrey, who owns 102 acres on Maui, never mentioned the Big Island on the show in question. Her guest was real estate mogul Donald Trump on April 8, 2004, when she mentioned Hawaii.

http://starbulletin.com/2005/05/13/business/story2.html

Word about PUNA is spread by these kind of Rumors.... "Oprah said... " when Oprah NEVER said.

-----------------
Coming home soon!
According to transcripts, Winfrey said she likes investing in land because "God's not making any more."

"So if you get oceanfront property in Hawaii, a couple thousand acres ... right along the beach. God's not making any more land in Hawaii," she said.

She definately must not know the Big Island so Damon what you said makes sense. Pele's creating more all the time!

Edited by - kapohocat on 12/11/2007 11:24:28