Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richard Ha - Cannabis Conniseur?
I did not flunk out of high school I flunked out of UH and immediately got drafted. I applied for officers candidate school and volunteered for Viet Nam. The unspoken rule was; "we all come back, or no one comes back." We all came back, some did not come back alive. After serving in the army, I returned to UH Manoa where I got an accounting degrees so whatever I went into, I would be able to keep score. I spent 30 years farming. Just before we started farming tomatoes, I took courses in Controlled Environment Agriculture at the University of Arizona. That's where I learned how to grow crops in doors under artificial lights. The value of growing indoors under controlled environment is increased volume and less disease and insects. This is very important in medical marijuana growing. People do not want pesticides sprayed on the plants and that is exactly what we are trying to do. It's about safety. We were one of the first farms in Hawaii to be food safety certified. There were about 60 line items to comply with in order to pass the certification requirements. We know what it takes to put out a safe product.
Mr. Ha, first of all I want to apologize for my offensive behavior and misunderstanding about your educational background. Mahalo to you for taking the time to clarify your position and share some of your life experience's with us. It was very nice to see that you are already considering the thousands of peoples (mmj card holders) valid concerns regarding their medicinal needs or preferences. Mr. Ha, would you care to elaborate or share your opinion about Recent island farming Lawsuits like this one?

http://ecowatch.com/2016/02/09/monsanto-...e-farmers/

Hope you don't mind Mr. Ha if i attempt to ask you a couple other questions regarding your role in this new mmj industry here in hawaii.

Mr. Ha is it true that you were approached by others to possibly farm cannabis and that this was not your idea at first?
Would you Mr. Ha have any interest or intentions of opening a second mmj dispensary here on the island, and if so how soon, or where?
Also Mr. Ha are you going to cry foul on the many backyard growers, or try to take away the mmj patients options of growing their own?

are you going to cry foul on the many backyard growers

Ironically, those backyard growers also have the only "legal" stock -- State can grant permits (or quietly ignore) activities within its borders, but nothing can be imported from off-island under the all-preempting Federal rules.

There are probably some amateur breeders making new hybrids, too -- criminals today, innovators tomorrow? State provides no guidance here -- under the current laws, anyone who invents a "signature strain" is liable for prosecution, not royalties.

Perhaps the State should sequence the DNA of all the marijuana they seize and compare it with samples from the dispensary operators -- you know, just to be absolutely sure that nothing passed over from the "illegal" to the "permitted". Can't be too careful with State-sanctioned violation of Federal law, you know...
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ha

I did not flunk out of high school I flunked out of UH and immediately got drafted. I applied for officers candidate school and volunteered for Viet Nam. The unspoken rule was; "we all come back, or no one comes back." We all came back, some did not come back alive. After serving in the army, I returned to UH Manoa where I got an accounting degrees so whatever I went into, I would be able to keep score. I spent 30 years farming. Just before we started farming tomatoes, I took courses in Controlled Environment Agriculture at the University of Arizona. That's where I learned how to grow crops in doors under artificial lights. The value of growing indoors under controlled environment is increased volume and less disease and insects. This is very important in medical marijuana growing. People do not want pesticides sprayed on the plants and that is exactly what we are trying to do. It's about safety. We were one of the first farms in Hawaii to be food safety certified. There were about 60 line items to comply with in order to pass the certification requirements. We know what it takes to put out a safe product.

Aloha & thank you for taking the time to respond Mister Ha.

Please feel free to ignore the conspiracists on this board, the rest of us appreciate you responding to this thread.

Staying on topic, how confident are you in your ability to provide medical strains like Charlotte's Web or Redd Dogg? Or are you cultivating any high CBD strains currently? Will there be cannabis oil available? Tinctures? Teas? Capsules? We have plenty of senior citizens whose lungs are not up to par and would benefit from alternate forms of their medication.

Mahalo again for your response, best of luck in your new venture.
your ability to provide medical strains like Charlotte's Web

Again/yet/still: can't import these, nor accept donations of same ("criminal activity" is a violation of the permit).

ignore the conspiracists

Admittedly my position is borderline ... but I'm legitimately interested in these "gray areas" that aren't spelled out in the fine dispensary operator rules, especially as these issues were never resolved during the 15 years of "you can have it, if it falls from the sky" regulations.
Aloha Kapoho Joe. We are looking at THC/CBD/ terpenes as it relates to medical conditions. We are consulting with the doctors who have the most experience on the Big Island. We are very confident that we can address exactly the issues you raise. Dr Berg is meeting with our people again today. Jari Sugano, has a young daughter with severe epileptic seizures. Medical Cannabis helps her tremendously. We want to help folks like Jari.
We are consulting with the doctors who have the most experience on the Big Island.

Are these doctors also going to import cuttings?
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ha

Aloha Kapoho Joe. We are looking at THC/CBD/ terpenes as it relates to medical conditions. We are consulting with the doctors who have the most experience on the Big Island. We are very confident that we can address exactly the issues you raise. Dr Berg is meeting with our people again today. Jari Sugano, has a young daughter with severe epileptic seizures. Medical Cannabis helps her tremendously. We want to help folks like Jari.

Mahalo Richard, great news! Imua!
Are we going to cry foul on the backyard growers? we are not going to challenge the backyard growers. That is not our problem or focus. However, we are very concerned about affordability for the medical cannabis patients. On my last trip to Seattle, we talked with dispensary folks and one manager told me that they use the Robin Hood approach- they lower the medical products and raise the recreational products. Hmmmm. One person suggested we sell- less than 12 inch plants, if Dept of Health allows. That way folks who grow their own can get access to specific strains. I don't know yet what we will do. What I can say is that we are trying to figure this out too.
Aloha Richard! I was happy to see that your farm, experience and workers are embarking on a new venture and wish you every success.
I would like to revisit the question Kapoho Joe asked about alternatives to smoking medicine. Many patients here are Disabled Seniors, unable to grow and/or can not smoke their med. I have heard that there will be no edibles allowed in Dispensaries here as they are in Calif. and Colorado under the current rules. Could you verify if this is the case?