Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monday Town Hall with Ruggles
Please tell us who took land in Hawaii without paying for it? And who had land taken from them without first agreeing to sell it, and then receiving payment?

You are kidding, right?
Anyone remember the missionaries who came here to do good and did very, very well? Right reverend Dole? Shall I go on

Snowflake is setting up for the next gig. We'll probably pay for that one too.
The Dillinghams and other sons of the missionaries DID con the Hawaiians, but the American government did not. We were and have always been exceedingly good to people of Hawaii.

All of history is wrought with inequities. My great grandparents were run out of Sweden for political reasons, their lands and money confiscated. Didn't take long before they made fabulous lives for themselves here in USA. My grandfather their son was a flight surgeon in WW2 then had a medical practice in Beverly Hills. Now should I go to Sweden and demand the land and monies they lost or should I stay grown up and continue to realize that all of history is wrought with inequities and continue to embrace growth thru challenges? Should I go there and demand to displace the people who live on my ancestral lands? Should I demand of the Swedish government my family money given back to me causing higher taxation to the citizens of Sweden?

It's so not challenging when I listen to this same lame argument over and over again by those who don't care about all of the innocent people who have come and gone since their ancestors were incorporated into the safety and great benefit of being US citizens of their own volition.
Well said.
Most of the land in Waikiki that was taken actually belonged to Japanese.

" The majority of the neighborhood’s residents did not own
property as the Wongs did. Instead, they built squatter ‘camps’ on undesirable lands. At the turn of the twentieth century, Honolulu’s cultural elites began to recognize the region’s potential as a resort district. Hotel development and the subsequent reclamation
effort would forever reshape the livelihoods of Waikiki’s poorest residents."

More here :
https://tinyurl.com/y7mxzldq
I am still trying to figure out how a very intelligent person who has lived in Hawaii County, gone to school in Hawaii County, with the 7th grade Hawaiian studies curriculum, gone to HCC & UH-Hilo, the birthplace of the Hawaiian Renaissance suddenly discovers the illegal overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom in August, 2018, even after going to the Hawaii Conference last fall, it was not until this summer that she realized it...

Of course, I truly doubt there was any significance that Rick Wyrick is clearly prominent in the Big Island News video, videoing the meeting... & that Jen announced her realization of the overthrow on Aug. 21, less than 2 weeks after the primary that knocked out Rick Wyrick....
Glinda, since you are a self-confessed thief, when will you be giving your stolen lands back and who will you be giving it to?
I'm sure I can find someone with the required degree of racial purity to receive it and forgive you and drive you to the harbor for your boat ride back to the mainland.
quote:
Originally posted by Carey

I am still trying to figure out how a very intelligent person... ...it was not until this summer that she realized it...
Polynesian Paralysis?

And don't tell us you don't suffer from the malady yourself. I mean come on, speed bumps?
Carey, what's the Rick Wyrick angle? I only know him from the posters. Are you saying he'll be trying to take her place?
when will you be giving your stolen lands back..

Actually, my land, originally Kuleana L.C. Grant #xxxx to the Kealoha Ohana, has a clear title back to the Hawaiian Kingdom with all transfers of title since clearly delineated. And, in fact, descendants of the original family, whose blessings I have, are neighbors.

Sorry to disappoint..