Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Astronomy in Hawaii under threat?
"Governor David Ige said during a news conference on Monday that he does not plan to veto HB 2024, which was passed by the Hawaiʻi State Legislature during the 2022 session. Governor Ige held the news conference to discuss a list of thirty bills that he does intend to veto before a July 12 final decision deadline."
I think kalakoa hit the nail on the head the other day with:

"Mixed messages in Hawaii? Unpossible... but we'll find out in just a couple more days."

This might be the last straw for the TMT.
This might be the last straw for the TMT.

Don't be so sure. All the astronomers have to do is set up a high-visibility protest encampment on the access road and invite the media. Because if that option is only available to "the" Hawaiians, that's not "equal protection under the law", right?
Trees like maple and cherry need cold climates to thrive.

Has anyone cultivated cold weather trees in mauna kea's micro climate for agriculture or self sustainability purposes.

The world could use some hawaiian maple syrup and hawaiian cherries, I'm thinking.
There is agriculture on Mauna Kea's slopes including trees, but you aren't going to get much growing above the treeline at ~8,000 ft. I'm not sure what this has to do with astronomy on Mauna Kea.
hawaiian maple syrup and hawaiian cherries

not sure what this has to do with astronomy on Mauna Kea

Where is that Gastronomy On Mauna Kea thread when you need it?
She thought it said "agronomy".
Certainty will be the death of us.
(07-09-2022, 09:50 AM)TomK Wrote: There is agriculture on Mauna Kea's slopes including trees, but you aren't going to get much growing above the treeline at ~8,000 ft. I'm not sure what this has to do with astronomy on Mauna Kea.

If comments on bad stewardship get a green light.

Might not good stewardship merit the same.

(07-10-2022, 04:41 AM)kalianna Wrote: She thought it said "agronomy".

He.

People called Elon Musk a space karen when he complained about taking 4 COVID tests and receiving 2 negative and 2 positive test results in the same day.

I was like...  that's my guy.

(07-10-2022, 03:27 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: hawaiian maple syrup and hawaiian cherries

not sure what this has to do with astronomy on Mauna Kea

Where is that Gastronomy On Mauna Kea thread when you need it?

You can have astronomy.

Or astronomy with hawaiian maple syrup and hawaiian cherries.

See how much better that sounds.
I'm told there "used to be" a stone fruit farm at an appropriate altitude ... until the asian fruit fly arrived.
(07-10-2022, 06:41 PM)kalakoa Wrote: I'm told there "used to be" a stone fruit farm at an appropriate altitude ... until the asian fruit fly arrived.

Gee, I always thought it was the Mediterranean.. frickin' flies, eh?

But no matter.. now that ground based astronomy is about to become passé I suspect the TMT guys will be reassessing their options. I would. I mean, what's all that money stuck to the top of a mountain really worth when compared to the likes of the James Webb? Nah, my bet is on the TMT guys realizing they could get a whole lot more bang for their buck and realigning their priorities.. and thanking the Hawaiians for helping them see the error of their ways..