Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT groundbreaking - live
My nephew hung out down with the Occupy Honolulu crowd. He was not one of those arrested. I asked if he regretted missing out on that part of the experience and he said "Sort of". I love him despite the fact that he is sometimes a fool.

These protesters got the full experience.
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

Turns out it was mostly DLNR assisting the HPD. This has been very amusing since the protectors seem to have found out from the newspaper after the fact that all the heavy equipment was moved up there last week. Not sure what the credentials of these protectors are, don't seem to be ali'i or kahuna. TMT has also decided to rely on armies of lawyers versus culturally sensitive community outreach. There is a vast chasm between the astronomy community and the locals. Keck is doing a better job of public relations. TMT could have been more culturally sensitive with a cultural liaison but they are going with lawyers, no cultural rep. It would have done a lot to bridge the divide, now, not.

You can't buy this kind of free entertainment.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"

The kanaka maoli on Mauna Kea knew about the machinery being moved last week (March 25, 2015). "Lanakila" confronted Wally Ishibashi and the "Cultural Advisor" who was on site (sleeping in her car at that hour; early AM).

(*Source - Joshua Lanakila Mangauil FB Page for reference-Sorry if you don't have FB; I don't either; my keiki send me the info)

https://www.facebook.com/joshua.mangauil?fref=ts

One does not need to be "Kahuna" nor "Ali'i" to voice opinion. Some are messengers from Kupuna, which sometimes include Kahuna and Ali'i.

With all due respect, pahoated, this issue is merely another catalyst of pushing forth the rights of Hawaiian people. No need be "Ali'i" to stand onipa'a.

TMT did their due diligence and will proceed with the utmost respect of our culture. That is their promise. We hold them to that charge.

As a people, we must progress, however, never lose our culture, our language, nor our belief. Looking forward to the day when all of us can Imua kakou...together. No matter your race, color, nor creed.

JMO.

ETA: Did you notice the faces of the DLNR officers in the video (two I see are ohana)? So telling, their body language. So heavy the pu'uwai (heart). Blessings to all as we move forward and progress.
FYI: Police Issue Statement re: Arrests

(*Snipped - More at link)

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2015/0...mauna-kea/

“During the arrests, our officers practiced the Hawaii Police Department’s core value of compassion,” said Assistant Chief Henry Tavares, who oversees police operations in East Hawaii, in the media release.

Pau for the night. Tomorrow is another day. Aloha ahiahi to all.

JMO.

ETA: get rid of those damn #699 thingys when the okina is added to a news report.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=24&v=wR3dDKUZRlM More to come tomorrow no doubt.

-------------------------
To email me click on Link http://is.gd/QMfVEX
Opihikao - I suspect you know this already, but treat pahoated's posts with skepticism. When it comes to science and astronomy on Mauna Kea he tends to make things up.

The current situation is so sad. I've lived here a long time but feel so uncomfortable seeing this protest. I think the TMT have done everything possible to make the project possible including an awful lot of outreach to the community, but that will never be enough for some.

What I will say is that despite the arrests today, both sides are acting with dignity. No idea if this will continue although I hope it does. Those trying to get to the summit are just doing their jobs and make a living. Those trying to prevent that are using their right, as US citizens or residents, to protest.
Off topic but I wanted to let everyone know there is going to be a total lunar eclipse tonight at 1:57 am.
Very sad. So many takers in a race, trying to earn a dollar exploiting such a wonder as Mauna kea. The natural lake near the top of the mountain has nearly been drained while the extra large eyesores have caused headaches and sickness to those who first believed in maunakea. OHA could make a big difference in not only helping solve these current issues or escalating situations? Helping the Hawaiian people while protecting history and Maunakea forever should be a priority for OHA. JMO or two cents here, OHA needs to stop selling out its own ansesters or people from yesterday for the greed of money for few today, while losing value for all tomorrow.
Sorry Tomk, plenty of healing needs to be done for many including Maunakea. For those scientists and visitors who must drive up to work should be packing and cleaning rather than stocking and building. Maybe some things deserve to be left alone or restored the way they were intended before man? I don't think MaunaKea or our lava should be sold or tampered with by the many lawyers with names today. Enough is enough, Unless it involves the mighty dollar.
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

quote:
Originally posted by TomK

Opihikao - I suspect you know this already, but treat pahoated's posts with skepticism. When it comes to science and astronomy on Mauna Kea he tends to make things up.
Victorian Tom, all you have is your cheap slander that you have no trouble slithering down to use frequently. Really sleazy. People want to bring up Gandhi, the man, and totally forget his cause he placed before himself was the end of British autocratic colonialism.

These people that are getting arrested should know their fingerprints and mugshots now go into a national database, and depending on different circumstances, may find flying might become more troublesome, and have to report their arrest on job applications, some jobs where an arrest is grounds for termination. Saying all this was done with aloha only accentuates the tourist-wrapped view of aloha that keeps being overused here.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"

I think you are the only one here using the word "aloha" in reference to these arrests. I see the words dignity and respect used, but only you used the word aloha to create an artificial reason to be able to make this statement: "Saying all this was done with aloha only accentuates the tourist-wrapped view of aloha that keeps being overused here."
i for one am in awe that Ali'i Ted (a.k.a. pahoated) even chooses to grace us lowly commoners -some even without breath- with his presence here. probably best not to question him and risk raising his ire as he may very well be our inherently privileged district chief in the new royal kingdom.

forgive us with mercy pahoated.

aloha
gypsy69,

"[...] The natural lake near the top of the mountain has nearly been drained [...]"

I'm curious. What does the water level of Lake Waiau have to with this discussion? How was it drained anyway? That's an extraordinary claim of yours that requires extraordinary evidence.