Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Why are so many vaccinated people getting COVID-19 lately?
In The Wall Street Journal:

The High Cost of Disparaging Natural Immunity to Covid

[color=var(--color-nickel)]Vaccines were wasted on those who didn’t need them, and people who posed no risk lost jobs.[/color]

By Marty Makary
[color=var(--color-nickel)]Jan. 26, 2022 11:52 am EST[/color]

Public-health officials ruined many lives by insisting that workers with natural immunity to Covid-19 be fired if they weren’t fully vaccinated. But after two years of accruing data, the superiority of natural immunity over vaccinated immunity is clear. By firing staff with natural immunity, employers got rid of those [i]least [/i]likely to infect others. It’s time to reinstate those employees with an apology.

For most of last year, many of us called for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to release its data on reinfection rates, but the agency refused. Finally last week, the CDC released https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7104e1.htm  (CDC data link) from New York and California, which demonstrated natural immunity was 2.8 times as effective in preventing hospitalization and 3.3 to 4.7 times as effective in preventing Covid infection compared with vaccination.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-high-co..._now_opn_4
Keep it local  Heart
To acquire natural immunity, one must first survive the COVID infection, the risks of which are mitigated by vaccination.

The two types of immunity are not mutually exclusive.
Punaweb strives to provide safe space and immunity from the outside world.

Keep it local kine
(01-29-2022, 12:19 AM)Puna Grace Wrote: In the Wall Street Journal..

The Journal used to be a trusted rag, but when Rupert Murdoch took over, and basically made it an extension of the lies he spreads on Fox, its credibility fell apart. And still..

Natural immunity, which wanes, in some instances is gone completely in months, is not some kind of magic one and done answer to our concerns. And, you gotta get COVID to get it. So, I doubt one can envision rational public policy built on that particular factor. 

And, besides, with the waning of natural immunity what's the plan? Ain't it to get vaccinated anyways?

So, even though as a non-paying reader I only got as much as you posted here, it seems to me, from a public policy perspective, vaccines are the ticket. Now, of course, since the word 'vaccine' has been weaponized by nefarious chapters, the whole thing is an uphill battle. But, I suspect, anything published by the WSJ is intended to bolster the weaponization, rather than stimulate earnest discussions regarding public policy.

Btw.. regarding copyright.. there are a gazillion sites that just repeat other site's content. Some are outright clickbait with ad revenue as the goal, which makes them much more of a concern. After all, they are taking someone's product and profiting off of it. Whereas others, like discussion forums, that make no revenue yet are filled with full copies of articles, are, for the most part, not considered worthy of concern. In fact, some argue, they are ultimately driving traffic to the source. I frequent a forum that does that regularly. It's a great resource, and always has links to the original..
So, even though as a non-paying reader I only got as much as you posted here - MyManao

You seem to have developed some strong opinions about a publication you don't read.  Where do you dig up all of your Mana'o?

I can't argue with any of the responses to the article but neither of those responses has anything to do with the point of the article.  I might as well have posted on the price of eggs in China.
Keep it local  Heart
 immunity from the outside world.

To bad Punaweb can’t provide immunity from forgetting the agreement we acknowledged when we signed up. Suggestion?  If the terms aren’t acceptable, go somewhere with terms and conditions that are?
From the registration page:

Welcome to the punaweb forum page. To use this page you must first register by 1) acknowledging that you have read the conditions. 2) entering your username, password and e-mail address Note: National and world politics are not allowed. Local, Hawaii County and State of Hawaii politics are allowed. 
(01-29-2022, 02:37 AM)Puna Grace Wrote: You seem to have developed some strong opinions about a publication you don't read...

Actually, I grew up with it at the breakfast table.. and I followed it onto the net. A lotta clout that rag had.. until Rupert took the helm..
Hmmmm MM,

Tryna keep it local but you DO know who owns New York Times right !??

Posted just to balance the universe.
Same silliness.  Attack the poster or attack the information source ( but don't tell us where YOUR info comes from).  Whoever owns the publication, the article is written by a Dr who is a professor at Johns Hopkins.   I think his research and opinions should at least be on an equal footing with yours - especially given that he links directly to The CDC data from which his view is derived.  Again, where is your view derived? Opinions formed in fear, based on 12 month old data (and lack thereof), might be due for an honest reevaluation.  The argumentum ad hominem silliness has grown old and tired don't you think?

[i]Dr. Makary is a professor at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and author of “The Price We Pay: What Broke American Health Care and How to Fix It.”[/i]
Keep it local  Heart
(01-29-2022, 04:10 PM)Puna Grace Wrote: Same silliness..

Do keep in mind, Grace, your originally referenced article was an opinion piece. An opinion of someone associated with John Hopkins maybe, but..

From John Hopkins, on it's own website.. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/c...ed-to-know

If I have natural immunity do I still need a COVID vaccine?

Yes, the COVID-19 vaccines are recommended, even if you had COVID-19. At present, evidence from Johns Hopkins Medicine and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) supports getting a COVID-19 vaccine as the best protection against getting COVID-19, whether you have already had the virus or not.

Here are recent research studies that support getting vaccinated even if you have already had COVID-19:

Vaccines add protection.
  • The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released a report on Oct. 29, 2021, that says getting vaccinated for the coronavirus when you’ve already had COVID-19 significantly enhances your immune protection and further reduces your risk of reinfection.
  • study published in August 2021 indicates that if you had COVID-19 before and are not vaccinated, your risk of getting re-infected is more than two times higher than for those who got vaccinated after having COVID-19.
  • Another study published on Nov. 5, 2021, by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) looked at adults hospitalized for COVID-like sickness between January and September 2021. This study found that the chances of these adults testing positive for COVID-19 were 5.49 times higher in unvaccinated people who had COVID-19 in the past than they were for those who had been vaccinated for COVID and had not had an infection before.
  • A study from the CDC in September 2021 showed that roughly one-third of those with COVID-19 cases in the study had no apparent natural immunity.