Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Astronomy in Hawaii under threat?
Applicants requested to manage Mauna Kea:

Applicants are now being sought to serve on the Mauna Kea Stewardship and Oversight Authority. The authority was established via Act 255, which was established after Gov. David Ige signed into law House Bill 2024 following the 2022 legislative session.

Applicants are asked to apply by July 28.

All the details, and link to online application form:
https://bigislandnow.com/2022/07/21/stat...authority/
Note how most of these board members must be "confirmed by the Senate". Almost as if it's rigged.
Only the "right" people need apply.
I nominate Space Karen for their unique perspective on Mauna Kea, optics, mass spectroscopy,  and agriculture above the treeline.
Geez, everyone know the sky is just a reflection of the ocean.
But that requires the ocean to be a lense. I also note that some sea creatures exhibit luminescence, so perhaps that's important. Space Karen, please clarify.

(07-18-2022, 12:56 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: A solar flare with reach earth on July 19th.  We most likely will notice nothing, but social media is already abuzz and exaggerating the possible effects.  COMMUNICATION SATELLITE APOCALYPSE!   

Not sure if stars will suddenly appear in lunar photos, or light scattering and color shifting will dramatically be affected (other than auroras near the poles), but right here seems like the go-to thread for this sort of think right now.

Or, more to the point TomK might inform us if the solar flare will threaten equipment and observatories on Mauna Kea, and what precautions (if any) may be taken.

Apologies, I missed this. The answer is no action was taken because there was no threat. Now, if there was a possibility of a Carrington-like event, then I suspect the observatories would just turn everything off and hope that Helco survives.

https://www.space.com/the-carrington-event
An optimistic assessment from NPR about the new Mauna Kea governing board:

John O'Meara, chief scientist at the Keck Observatory on Mauna Kea, said that means the next few years will be crucial for astronomy in Hawaii.
Once it has full control over the mountain, the group will be tasked with negotiating new leases for the mountain's new and existing observatories to prevent them from being decommissioned. 
Despite the uncertainty surrounding how negotiations will go, O'Meara said he thinks the creation of the new authority was a step in the right direction.
"I'm confident that astronomy can thrive in Mauna Kea and in Hawaii before 2033 and after," O'Meara said, "Because we're coming to a place of mutual stewardship — of everybody recognizing that it's the mauna at the center of this and not any one player."
How the authority will act depends on who gets appointed to serve as its members, a process that will be completed when the legislature reconvenes next year.

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/31/111431407...bservatory
I had an unexpected chance to meet a few of the more visible protest leaders recently, and I have to say my suspicions were confirmed. These are the same people that believe the Earth is flat, the moon landing was faked, and Covid was a hoax. If one of these ignorant buffoons gets on the board it's going to be a mess.
(08-01-2022, 09:02 AM)randomq Wrote: I had an unexpected chance to meet a few of the more visible protest leaders recently, These are the same people that believe the Earth is flat, the moon landing was faked, and Covid was a hoax

Protestors always support COVID mandates and lockdowns. They're the opposite of the plandemic crew.

How many of you had COVID by the way?

I had it. 

How many of you can talk about it from experience.
Had it twice ?? Donno ..feb 2020 first .. nothing but we are healthy and active ...
99. ___% survival rate .. No need dna alter
vax . Hows Joe ( " you won't catch this if you are vaccinated" ) doing ?

Late Shout out to environmental scientist TomK.. I think you posted you also got Kia box .. Did you buy the EV version like your neighbor ?? Why or why not.