Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hate van in hilo

"As far as a practical suggestion: I would be very surprised if the Hate Van could pass a stringent application of the Code as it applies to signs... because that's what they are... and signs are regulated... especially on public streets..."

That's another thing. Hawaii doesn't allow "billboards", which makes this place much more beautiful than many other states. But, it all right for this guy to have his one man hate show signs plastered all over his hate mobile.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I suppose all this talk about free speech may be currently clouded by the fact that, our Supreme Court has now made the ridiculous decision that, money IS free speech. Thereby allowing the almost unlimited amounts of money to flow from the big corporations in order to buy and sell our elected officials like a supermarket commodity. Yes, I view the citizens united ruling as the end of one person, one vote. But, it is now the law. Since money IS free speech, I guess money talks. It also buys changes in laws to allow stuff like dumping poisoned water right into a river, fracking, and on and on.

I would like to see the hater in his truck moved elsewhere. No one is trying to get his website shut down, and they shouldn't. But, a person makes a choice to visit the website. Maybe this dude should, instead of posting stuff in the form of signs, make up some fine hate pamphlets and try handing them out to adults?

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
quote:
Originally posted by DoryGray

To those who don't want to sign the petition for fear of a "slippery slope" & losing our 1st amendment rights; have you read the description at the petition site? In part: "These signs not only disturb the Aloha that surrounds our sweet park, they scare away many families from entering. The images pose a threat to the emotional and mental welfare of children who are subjected to those graphically violent images." Like I said before the media censors blurred the images that we & children are subjected to in real life. One still cannot shout "FIRE" in a crowded theater.

Your statement brings up some questions.

Are you for or against abortion? If the thought of scaring children away due to a picture of a fetus is so bad, then you must be against abortion? However, maybe you are for abortion and don't want people to know the details of what happens?

Others in this thread have brought up Christians - trying to change the subject mater of one of his signs away from the Muslim aspect. Why is that? Why is it OK for some of you to be anti-Christian, but yet refuse to also be anti-Muslim or anti-Islamic?

Anyways, just ignore the guy. Giving him extra attention seems to be what he wants.
Since when is pro life equal to hate. My ex wife had 3 miscarriages.The pain was almost unbearable.
The dude hates Muslims. The dude hates our President to the extent that he often shows a picture of Obama hanging with a noose around his neck. He hates gays and lesbians. Etc,etc. You think this dude shows a Christian attitude? I'm not anti Christian. You can belong to whatever religion your heart desires. So can everyone else.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
leilanidude says to DoryGray:

"Your statement brings up some questions.

Are you for or against abortion? If the thought of scaring children away due to a picture of a fetus is so bad, then you must be against abortion? However, maybe you are for abortion and don't want people to know the details of what happens?"

this isn't partisan, to make it so would be a meaningless distraction here. it is not about the abortion issue or any other political or religious issue specifically. it is the very difficult question of finding at what point the right to free speech at it's extremes may or may not balance with other rights.
Thank you PM2 for clarifying that. PunaWeb is not the venue for partisan debate about abortion. That person is interfering with my right to drive down the street w/out seeing obscene billboards. It's not the message I disagree with, it's the method.
quote:
Originally posted by birdmove

The dude hates our President to the extent that he often shows a picture of Obama hanging with a noose around his neck.

I have never seen him displaying an image of our President hanging in a noose. If he is showing said image, contact the media, then contact the Secret Service because they will arrest him for threatening our Commander-in-chief, and your problem will be solved.
quote:
Originally posted by SuperGu

quote:
Originally posted by birdmove

The dude hates our President to the extent that he often shows a picture of Obama hanging with a noose around his neck.

I have never seen him displaying an image of our President hanging in a noose. If he is showing said image, contact the media, then contact the Secret Service because they will arrest him for threatening our Commander-in-chief, and your problem will be solved.

I drive by there almost daily and he has regularly shown dolls and images that represent the President, and the First Lady, hanging by a noose. He was reported in the past for that and was quoted in the paper over a year ago as saying he has received visits from the Secret Service who have decided he is not an actual threat.
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stewart, 1791
The Constitution never guaranteed people the right to not be offended in public but it did guarantee the right to be offensive. If we had to worry about everyone who might be offended, everyone would have to shut their mouths and keep out of one another sights 24/7/365. Get used to it, it's okay to be offended and should be expected. The guy parked along the road is evidently offended by the POTUS/etc. and some people here are offended by the guys freedom of speech/expression thereof.
I for one am happy to see anyone who is publically expressing their opinion, I need not agree with their opinion but I certainly am happy to see they can express it publically without being arrested.