Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Hawaiian
I wonder if Darl even still works there since this thread start so far back. Has anyone called Blue Hawaiian directly to ask about the flight situation?
I do believe the 'copters were here before many of us got here - while I am disturbed about the dea flying over my house - privacy and constitutional issues....... another topic that has been covered before

I think that same constitution gives the likes of blue hawaiian to pursue their own happiness and make a living as long as they stay within the rules as set by the FAA

and they were here before most of us bought in - a known quantity

apples and oranges
I'm collecting data before I call Blue Hawaiian to set up discussions. Specifically, flight paths and video from neighbors. All this while running the business has me working overtime, but we're making progress.

Bullwinkle, Helicopter flights have steadily climbed in numbers over the years. Even over the past year, there are easily three times more helicopters flying over our place. There is no cap on the tour companies, as many helicopters as they can get, they can fly. That hardly makes the "we were here first" argument valid in this case. I'm not asking to discuss putting an end to the copters, as I've said. I'm aiming to figure out a better way that works a bit more with everyone involved. Alternate routes, capping the number of flights or dividing flights over all flight path areas, aiming for unpopulated areas, etc.

Deborah, thanks for calling it. Some people are just jerks. Some people like to get a rise. Some people are cowards that hide behind anonymity yet feel free to run their mouths and act big and bad. Eh, it takes all kinds perhaps. I choose to keep to my ideals, work for causes I believe in and not be bullied or manipulated.

You know, I moved around a lot in high school. Some people on here remind me of this certain type of person I found over and over and over during our many moves... They don't have or recognize their own mana or power from within. They see a way to step on another person in hopes that they can seem a bit bigger, feel bit better about themselves. Problem is, it never works. You can try to step on people as much as you like, but it doesn't make you bigger, more powerful, more intelligent or anything other than small and sad. As I grew, I became thankful for those experiences though. I learned how to handle and not allow people like that to get to me.

I might suggest to a few people to just quit reading and commenting on my posts, because evidently, they've decided not to agree with anything I post, so why read it? If we can't communicate respectfully, then how can we call it communication? If it's not communication then what's the point??

Melissa Fletcher

From following Big Island tourism, I would say that helicopter tours are more frequent of late because it has become more difficult to see surface lava by hiking.

Most first time visitors to the Big Island pick this island because they want to see red lava. For years they were able to hike from Chain of Craters to the flow. It was a standard pilgrimage in an itinerary. All that changed after Father's Day, 2007.

While the public viewing area was a success for some time, the new hike to lava from Uncle Roberts is really not suitable for children or seniors. The current prevailing travel advice to visitors who want to see lava is that they need to budget in a helo trip in order to see "red."

While some visitors come with the money to do a full circle air tour of the island, others would rather not pay for even the short tour if they can achieve the lava goal with a walk or hike. Right now they cannot. All sorts of indulgent parents promise their kids a trip to the Volcano, so that's certainly part of the passenger load.

There's also a significant number of tourists who really come here to stay in Waikiki, who also want to see lava, who sign up for day trips that include helo tours. This is also a popular excursion from Maui.

All of which is to say that you're not imagining that more people are taking tours.
Darl,

You're probably not going to like this because you're a rotary wing pilot.

As you well know, relative to the number of passenger carried, rotary wing aircraft are the most expensive aircraft to purchase, maintain and fuel. They are also the noisiest and most prone to crashes. Everything about the helicopter says it's the worst machine for use in the tourist industry - especially around populated areas. Here's a new idea... change your machines to Airships. They are cheaper to purchase, maintain and fuel. They accommodate many more paying passengers, are the quietest and safest craft in the air. They are also very capable of working well around the islands.

Consider the relative peace in floating along the coast and the large field of view afforded the passengers. As a local, I’d do several more air tours if these vessels were available and even more tours if they included a great meal. It’s just something to think about.

Phase out the helicopters and one airship will replace several helicopters. Blue Hawaiian would soar even further into the future. Long and short… if Blue Hawaiian doesn’t, some-one else will and legislators may shortly thereafter ground the routine helicopter tour industry within the state or around pupulated areas.

BTW... I live in Waa Waa a subdivision with one clear unpopulated mile on either side of it to the ocean. Where's the flight path when heading to the ocean near here? Right over our heads, not over the Nanawale forest reserve or the abandon papya fields, no, you folks fly right over us instead. Why's that?

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.
I hope you're right, Wao, and that one way or another the assault on the ears will end.
Melissa Fletcher

Wao you must not have noticed that Darl hasn't posted anything for about 3 years.

I gave a link of this topic to YurtGirl to show her that it has all been done before.

Here is a post from 2003.

"if you don't want temperatures below 65, then you need to be in the lower elevations. the thing I was going to suggest is when you start zeroing in on an area, ask about two things, helicopter noise, and barking dogs. these are the two main problems I have encountered that ruin puna. no one told me that thousands of helicopter tours fly right over where I built my house(Ilive 20 miles from the airport!). good luck."

I want to suggest getting one of those small advertising blimps, paint "500 FEET" on it and send it up to 499'. Or maybe Blue Hawaii should purchase a plot and send it up so everyone can see they are within the law.

pog

I also opine Wao got came back so he could drop "rotary wing", "airship", " as a local" ( LOL ) + tell us more about himself.
I LOVE that suggestion, Pog.
Melissa Fletcher

If it comes across as rude...well, sorry

I didn't single out anyone...Like you, (you know who you are)

To me THAT's rude.

In any case I'm not going to get all worked up about it.

Big baby....(YOu know who you are)
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.